Software Development Manager III at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
Discovery is looking for top engineering talent whose deep technical chops and problem-solving skills are matched only by their passion for design and user experience. Our team builds the user experiences for OTT applications on Web, Android, FireTV, iOS, tvOS, Roku & Connected TVs. If you delight in delivering high quality, fast, and efficient mobile, web, and connected TVs applications to millions of customers, then this is the Discovery team for you.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
We are the Product Engineering technology group for Direct-2-Consumer USA business, and responsible for building internal applications for our brands. Backed up by modern container-based micro-services operated on AWS, our front-end applications build content creation experiences for content management systems. Discovery is the largest provider of non-fiction network programming in the USA with channels like Discovery, TLC, Animal Planet, Oprah Winfrey Network, Cooking Channel, Food Network, Travel Channel, and many more (total of 18 Discovery GO brands). This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring Senior Software Development Managers to join our team. The ideal candidate has a track record of creating the identity for a team and defining how that team works within a larger organization. You have mastered the ability to delegate both tasks, and larger assignments to your team, and ensure that the right results are achieved even without your constant oversight. You are a technical leader that people turn to when they want to build something new as you can align with company priorities and processes and create new ones where needed.
• You understand a broad range of computer science concepts, and know how, when, and when not to use them. You can dive deep into a wide range of technical problems offering suggestions and feedback to your team. Your interest in computer science has not faded as you moved into a leadership role and you are still comfortable with technical details.
• You work with key stakeholders to deliver a high-quality product ensuring that software development is and remains under control and on track at all times.
• Your written and verbal communication skills are top notch. You can distil key points out of complex technical descriptions to share with non-technical stakeholders, adapting your language and style of communication depending on the audience. You communicate through data, dates, and facts using emotion judiciously to motivate and inspire.
• You lead by example and do not consider yourself above individual contributor work. You are comfortable teaching best practices by showing developers, not just telling people. Teams follow your lead because you are an inspirational leader, because you are right, and because you can show everyone high quality examples of your own work.
• You have demonstrated the ability to make great hiring decisions as is shown by the performance of developers on your team, and you are able to retain and develop the best developers.
• You have demonstrated the capacity to make decisions for more than one development team or functional area showing that your judgment is fungible.
• 7+ years in a leadership role- leading and managing software development team. Providing direction, setting goals, recruiting & mentoring both ICs and junior leaders.
• Programming & domain experience on Web (React Frameworks). AWS Cloud experience is a plus.
• A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent work experience.
• Hands-on expertise in disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
• Knowledge of large-scale application architecture, design, implementation and performance tuning.
• Experience in modern DevOps/SRE practices such as CI/CD, performance monitoring & incident management
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
• Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
EEO is the Law
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application process, please send an email request to [email protected]