Software Engineer, Backend (Cloud) - Distributed US, Toronto, London, Sydney
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!About the Role
CockroachCloud provides CockroachDB to anyone who needs to scale fast, survive anything, and thrive everywhere. We are looking for experienced backend software engineers who are excited to focus on the server side components of CockroachCloud, but also contribute to the client-side code. Working closely with our SRE team and Database Engineers you will be part of a collaborative culture striving to make data easy at global scale by integrating distributed databases and the cloud with a beautiful user experience.You Will
- Design, build, and test CockroachCloud. You bring your expertise and commitment to excellence to build the best cloud database service for our users, partners, and customers.
- Develop in Go on the server-side and React/TypeScript on the client side, but if you don't know it, you'll learn while you're here.
- Collaborate with designers and engineers to design, implement, and deliver CockroachCloud features.
- Make sure that as CockroachCloud rapidly grows it remains scalable, survivable, and consistent.
In the first month, you will become an integrated member of our engineering team. You’ll become familiar with our production systems, software development workflow, and architecture for CockroachDB and CockroachCloud. We believe that it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company.
After 3 months, you'll be a fully-fledged member of the team. You will be comfortable contributing to CockroachCloud. You will begin to determine the parts of our product that most interest you and work with your manager to focus your efforts on projects that align with those areas and the product roadmap.
As our team grows, you will have the opportunity to shape the direction of development for CockroachCloud and CockroachDB. We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using our product, and you play a crucial role in making CockroachCloud a joy to use.You Have
- A passion for working on complex technical products and exposure to the design and creation of modern web applications.
- Experience building modern, highly available web applications.
- Understanding of system design, API design, and infrastructure such as Kubernetes, AWS/GCP/Azure.
- An understanding on how to deliver value within a rapid, iterative, release cycle.
- Comfort implementing user interfaces on the client side using technologies like React, Vue.js, or Angular.
- Experience building collaborative relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process and partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- 5+ years of relevant experience is preferred.
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
You will have the opportunity to report to a member of our engineering leadership team based on the project you work on at Cockroach Labs. In addition, you will get to work closely with the senior leadership including:
Peter Mattis - Co-founder and Chief Technology Officer
Peter works on a bit of everything, from low-level optimization of code to refining the overall design. He was thrust into file systems early in his career at Inktomi and then learned the true meaning of scalability while working on Gmail and Colossus at Google. Before stepping into the office in the morning, he will have nursed his CrossFit addiction and dealt with the chaos of a three kid morning routine. You can set your watch by his daily departure at 4:30 pm to have dinner with his family.
Isaac Wong - VP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality and innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, and consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology and culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano, and search NYC for cannoli's with his wife and kidsOur Benefits
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]