Software Engineer II- Emerging Platforms
We’re looking for a passionate, product-focused, well-rounded software engineer to join the Discovery Digital Studios Emerging Platforms team. At Discovery, we’re building exciting, meaningful products for our popular lifestyle brands like Food Network and HGTV that push forward the intersection of emerging technologies and the content that people love and trust. Our renowned applications across all platforms make it easier and more enjoyable for people to discover ways to craft their own unique world.
As part of our Emerging Platforms team, you will influence how and why we build products on new voice and chat technologies like Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Facebook Messenger, as well as AR/VR experiences on iOS and Android. You’ll play a critical ownership role in validating new ideas and concepts, building new features, enabling data-driven collaboration, and exploring new ways that our brands can change our customers’ lives for the better.
1. Become a key part of an exciting, collaborative, cross-functional team
2. Prototype and build products on Mobile, Voice, AR/VR and IoT platforms that deliver new experiences to our fans in millions of households
3. Work closely with your peers across engineering, product, design, editorial, marketing and operations
4. Help to validate hypotheses about customer behavior in the face of changing technology trends through data, research and analytics
5. Develop and ship fast, tested, resilient code that others find easy to comprehend and modify
6. Take ownership of end-to-end product quality to help make our products more reliable, performant and delightful.
7. Provide vision into future technology trends that will drive our brand platforms for the next decade and beyond
8. Work out of our food-friendly offices in beautiful Chelsea Market in the hip, fun Meatpacking district in New York City!
* You have 2-3 years of experience developing web applications using technologies such as Node, React, Express, or Rails.
* You have a passion for developing experiences for the new voice-first, chat and multimodal platforms
* Experience with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Android, iOS, or AWS is a big plus.
* You’re comfortable with agile and kanban methodologies
* You’re willing learn new skills on the fly, and adapt to rapid changes in platforms and best practices.
* You keep current with industry and technology trends.
* You’re an intuitive but logical thinker who is adept at breaking big problems down into bite-size pieces.
* You have an understanding of design patterns and API design for highly scalable services.
* You are intellectually curious and look for opportunities to expand your technical and personal skill-set.
* You care equally about helping to build great products as you do writing great code.
* You’re looking to work in a highly collaborative, cross-functional environment
* You have excellent verbal and written communication skills, and are comfortable presenting to groups
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States