Software Engineer -OncoKB at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Please note that effective July 1, 2021, MSK will require all new hires, volunteers, and vendors who come onsite to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. This is based on the COVID-19 vaccines’ high level of protection and our shared responsibility in protecting our patients.
The mission of the Center for Molecular Oncology (CMO) is to promote precision oncology through genomic analysis to guide the diagnosis and treatment of cancer patients. The CMO brings together clinicians and scientists throughout MSK to conduct large-scale translational research involving molecular characterization of patient tumor specimens in order to identify correlations between genomic features and clinical outcomes.
We are looking for a Software Engineer (Full-Stack) to support the precision oncology database OncoKB at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. OncoKB is used at MSK to annotate genomic variants in more than 1000 patient sequencing reports every month as well as thousands of patients in retrospective cohorts by cancer researchers worldwide. The OncoKB software suite has been developed in house at MSK since 2013; it includes a curation interface that supports content curation, a public website (oncokb.org) that hosts more than 1000 daily user visits worldwide, as well as a database and API that support real-time annotation of genomic variants identified in cancer patients. To better support clinical decisions and cancer research, we are looking for an additional software engineer to join our team to improve all these components of the OncoKB software suite.
- A software engineer who understands all layers (front- and back-end) of web development and has a genuine interest in the latest software technology.
- Enthusiastic about solving problems in biology and cancer genomics, and their clinical applications.
- Someone who thrives in a dynamic environment with changing priorities.
- A person who enjoys working in a team, is self-motivated, and can solve problems independently.
- Able to learn new technologies and programming languages as needed.
- Work closely with cancer researchers and clinicians to translate research problems and clinical needs into software solutions.
- Work closely with other software engineers, scientists, and clinicians to extend the OncoKB front- and back-end codebase to support evolving analysis or curation needs.
- Design new interactive features, taking them quickly from prototype to production.
- Rapidly troubleshoot and solve problems with existing software systems.
- Participate in a development team that continually seeks to increase performance and is open to adopting new software engineering techniques and practices towards this goal.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics or related field
- Web application development experience
- Experience with HTML5, CSS
- Experience with Java
- Experience with databases, such as MySQL and MongoDB
- Experience with shell scripting
- Experience developing in teams using Git/GitHub or other source code control systems
Nice to have:
- 1+ years of software development experience, or a master’s degree
- Experience with front-end frameworks such as React
- Experience with server-side web frameworks such as SpringBoot
- Experience with Python
- Experience with cloud deployment using kubernetes and docker
- User interface design knowledge
- Experience with Agile software development and participating in a Scrum team
- Prior contribution to open source projects
- Prior involvement or interest in bioinformatics or cancer genomics domain
Competitive compensation packages | Sick Time |Generous Vacation+ 12 holidays to recharge & refuel| Internal Career Mobility & Performance Consulting | Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA & Dependent Care|403b Retirement Savings Plan Match|Tuition Reimbursement |Parental Leave & Adoption Assistance |Commuter Spending Account |Fitness Discounts &Wellness Program | Resource Networks| Life Insurance & Disability | Remote Flexibility
We believe in communication, openness, and thinking beyond your 8-hour day @ MSK. It’s important to us that you have a sense of impact, community, and work/life balance to be and feel your best.
Our Hiring Process
You review the posting, agree it sounds like a great fit & apply ->Talent Acquisition contacts you to schedule a phone interview (if your profile aligns) -> after speaking with the Talent Acquisition Specialist, you will connect with the Hiring Manager by phone or video -> if your experience is a fit, you will move forward to a video call or on-site visit with the team -> post-interview feedback->ideally an offer! ->reference check & onboarding-> orientation & official welcome to MSK.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.