Software Engineer: Virtualization
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about designing and operating secure systems at scale.
We are looking for someone who is familiar with our stack, understands our tools, is comfortable working remote, enjoys working in open source, and is excited about our mission.
At DO, we believe in creating simple, yet powerful, foundations (with 💕) from which our community can build. The Systems Virtualization team delivers on this mission by ensuring our fleet of hypervisors are performant, reliable, and secure.
C, Chef, Go, libvirt, Linux (Ubuntu), KVM, OVS, QEMU
Concourse, Elasticsearch, GSuite, Jira, Prometheus, Slack
The Systems team is currently made up of about a dozen, mostly senior, engineers located across the US, Canada, and Germany with one engineer in the NY office and is supported by a Senior Engineering Manager. The Virtualization sub-team, supported by an Engineering Manager, accounts for approximately half the Systems team.
What You’ll Be Doing:
While work will vary based on quarterly priorities and initiatives, some examples include:
- Triaging and fixing systems and virtualization issues impacting the performance, reliability, and/or security of our hypervisors and their guests
- Improvements to our debian packaging and software delivery processes
- Improvements to our monitoring, alerting, and tooling
- Upstream contributions (i.e. libvirt, Linux kernel, QEMU)
- Contributions to our intra-hypervisor placement service (in Go)
- 5-20% of your time is spent on innovation, education, and/or open source
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Experience as a developer / engineer in a large scale, distributed environment (we are open to new grads whose area of research is focused on virtualization and/or systems security)
- Experience writing secure, testable and robust code
- Deep understanding of Linux and virtualization
- Experience proactively addressing reliability issues across all layers of the stack
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Upstream QEMU contributions are a huge plus
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!