Software Engineer at IEX
IEX Astral is looking for a Software Engineer to operate and enhance its groundbreaking platform.
Global brokers and institutional asset managers bring their most important trading and technology challenges to Astral. Astral’s platform synthesizes disconnected sources of clients’ trading data into a single cohesive library to deliver clear and practical insights.
Astral’s Software Engineers play an essential role on the team, building inventive and functional solutions to complex problems at the intersection of software engineering, data engineering, and data science.
You will enable large-scale data science by Astral’s users and operators by designing and building distributed, high-volume data pipelines. Your vision will shape Astral’s proprietary platform, guiding its adoption of open-source technologies such as Spark, AirFlow, Jupyter alongside internally-developed tools.
Astral is a constantly evolving, and your work will be varied based on the changing needs of strategic partners and colleagues.
Our partners will enlist you to expand their ability to effectively integrate and apply their proprietary data to their software and trading strategies.
Colleagues will rely upon you to contribute to the platform’s processes and composition, while continuously expanding Astral’s functionality, maintainability, and performance. On a typical day, you will work all over the stack, moving fluidly between programming languages: Python, Java, Go, and more. This role requires extensive cross-functional collaboration with Data Engineers, Quantitative Researchers, and Operators to troubleshoot issues and continuously enhance the user experience when working with big, sensitive datasets.
You will demonstrate the aptitude and initiative required to solve complex issues with utmost integrity in a dynamic and unstructured environment.
This position is best suited for a highly collaborative individual with strong communication skills and a meticulous attention to detail. Additionally, you are:
- Deeply experienced and fluent in the performance characteristics of your preferred datastore, such as memSQL or Pandas
- Open-minded and able to quickly acquire new concepts and ideas
- Self-motivated to deliver high-quality code
- Able to master and demonstrate ownership of designated segments of a complex proprietary system
- Disciplined, with a keen focus on process and details
- Committed and available to accommodate a flexible work schedule and an on-call environment
What you’ll do:
- Design, build, and maintain distributed, high-volume data pipelines
- Continuously improve system responsiveness and reliability using memSQL, Spark, AirFlow, Jupyter, and other open-source technologies
- Work all over the stack, moving fluidly between programming languages: Python, Java, Go, and more.
- Optimize data access for internal and external users.
- Collaborate with the Lead Quantitative Researcher to manage third-party market data and reference data.
- Support internal teams at Astral, including Engineering, Operations, Information Security, and Compliance
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience building data processing systems that extract, transform, and load terabytes of data every day
- Previously worked on Agile teams
- Track record of creatively solving data problems at scale
- 3-5+ years of system engineering experience in a cloud environment is required
Here at IEX, we are dedicated to an inclusive workplace and culture. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. This policy not only complies with all applicable laws and protects workers' rights but is vital to IEX’s overall mission and values.