Foursquare is the leading independent location technology and data cloud platform, dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces and physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, and achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquare’s location tech stack is being utilized by the world’s largest enterprises and most recognizable brands.
Foursquare’s flexible building blocks include technology to maximize marketing impact and drive incremental real-world engagement (Attribution, Audience, Proximity, SDK); data to deeply understand points of interest and real-world behavior patterns (Places and Visits), and tools to conduct advanced analysis, data enrichment, unification and visualization (Unfolded Studio).
About the Team:
Our Data Platform team provides the infrastructure, tools, libraries, and APIs that power our data processing infrastructure. The goal of the team is to make engineers at Foursquare more effective and happier by offloading common problems from the product and content experts, enabling them to apply their skills and knowledge to their specific domain, while the Data Platform team works on problems that affect the company as a whole.
About the role:
In this role, you will ship products with high visibility and strategic importance to Foursquare and contribute directly to revenue. Help us build and collaborate with Product, Engineering, and Data Science teams to create tools and processes to bring research and machine learning models to production.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Influence key decisions on architecture and scalable data processing and analytics structure.
- Build and maintain Foursquare's event streaming platform, Framework, and applications for data ingestion.
- Build resilient services and tooling which drive all of our offline processing of petabytes of data
- Write test automation, conduct code reviews, and take end-to-end ownership of deployments to production.
- Participate in on-call rotation duties.
- BS/BA in a technical field such as computer science or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years of experience in software development working with production-level code.
- Proficiency in one or more of the programming languages we use.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to identify and communicate data-driven insights.
- Strong algorithms and data structures knowledge.
- Comfort with Unix/Linux and the command line.
Nice to have:
- Experience with Hadoop, Kafka, MapReduce, and/or Spark.
- Experience with relational or document-oriented database systems.
- Prior software internship experience.
Our Tech Stack
- Languages: Java, Scala, Python, Clojure, Ruby
- Tools for pipeline orchestration: Airflow, Luigi
- Frameworks: Spark, MapReduce, Scalding, Spring Boot
- Infrastructure: AWS, Hadoop, Kafka, Kubernetes, Docker
- Other technologies: Postgres, Hive, HBase, MongoDB
Perks and benefits:
- Learning and development programs from ICs to managers
- Individual, professional coaching for all full-time employees
- Flexible time off - rest and recharge when you need it!
- Comprehensive and competitive health, vision, dental, life insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Home office setup: you get all necessary hardware and internet reimbursement
- Family planning programs via Carrot and Maven
- Employee Resource Groups to help you stay connected
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.