The recommender system powers Hinge’s matchmaking capabilities and we’re looking for a staff engineer who is interested in owning the backend portion of this system. You will be the first dedicated backend IC on a new cross disciplinary team that includes data scientists, ML engineers, data engineers, and product managers.
- Collaborate with a cross-disciplinary team to build recommendation system features.
- Design and build backend systems with an emphasis on scalability, and operability.
- Own complex projects end-to-end and effectively communicate to stakeholders.
- Develop a deep understanding of the recommender system and grow into a technical authority for this system.
- Work in a cloud native tech stack: Kubernetes, AWS, Go web services, Postgres, Redis, Kafka.
- Be a thought partner for backend team strategy and technical direction.
- You have 7+ years of experience in software development
- You have experience working with distributed systems in a production environment
- You have experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- You have worked with at least one message or event based technology (Kafka, Kinesis, SQS, RabbitMQ, NSQ, etc.)
- You’re intellectually curious about the problem domain
- You’re a self-starter when it comes to learning
- Prior knowledge of Go is preferred but not required
- Experience with AWS is a plus
- Experience with Postgres is a plus.
- Prior knowledge with recommendation systems is a plus.
Hinge is the dating app for people who want to get off dating apps. In today’s digital world, singles are so busy matching that they’re not actually connecting, in person, where it counts. Hinge is on a mission to change that. So we built an app that’s designed to be deleted. On Hinge, there are no rules, timers, or games. Instead, you’ll meet your most compatible matches and you’ll have unique conversations over what you’ve shared on your detailed profile. It’s a natural way to find a great first date. Currently, 3 out of 4 first dates lead to second dates, we’re the #1 mobile-first dating app mentioned in the New York Times wedding section, and we’re the fastest growing dating app in the US, UK, Canada, and Australia.
- Authenticity: Share your genuine thoughts and opinions directly.
- Courage: Invite and deeply consider challenges and criticism.
- Empathy: Be empathetic, communitarian and trustworthy.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description