Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs, bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs and some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities, one block at a time. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are—bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. We will get started in new markets, each with their own operating structure and care teams, and continue to grow in the communities where we are working already. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To deliver a radically better experience of care to our members and advance equity in the communities we serve, we strive to make our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bridging together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels like they belong, are valued, respected, and celebrated as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer to help build Commons, our digital care management platform. Commons enables our clinical teams to engage with patients, collect structured data about medical, behavioral and social needs, and develop personalized care plans that drive good health. Commons will allow our care operations to scale to eventually support hundreds of thousands of patients in cities across the country.
You will join our engineering team which works closely with our design, product management, data science and clinical operations teams to create a digital product experience tailored to our exact needs.
We’re building Commons with a modern tech stack: React, GraphQL, Typescript, Node.js, and Postgres, all hosted on HIPAA-compliant AWS through Aptible, and using Redox as our integration layer to Electronic Health Record (EHR) systems.
If you like building great user experiences, are seeking out entrepreneurial opportunities, and are an amazing teammate, we want to hear from you!
- Design, build, implement, and own entire features in Commons.
- Write, and review, code up and down the stack as needed.
- Ensure we are using industry best practices for producing reliable software that works beautifully.
- Write clean, well-tested, code that will stand the test of time.
- Participate in creating and maintaining strict compliance, data privacy and security measures.
- Help recruit highly capable engineers to the team from diverse backgrounds.
- Learn continuously via mentorship (and on your own!) to upgrade your skills and thinking as an engineer.
- Mentor junior engineers, new team members, and apply technical expertise to help others grow effectively.
- Collaborate with our clinical teams to gather requirements and problem solve.
- Work closely with design to build user-facing features that are highly efficient to support field-based operations and engage patients.
- Come up to speed on how healthcare works (or doesn’t) to support those who need it most.
You’d be a good fit if:
- You are invigorated, rather than daunted, by the challenge of building great health tech.
- You have a process-oriented mindset, and are comfortable writing and debating around design documents.
- You enjoy working across the stack and seeing features through end-to-end.
- You enjoy solving complex problems and shipping software used in real-time by our clinical team.
- You have 5+ years experience writing production code.
- You have a passion for doing mission-oriented work.
- You enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise.
Nice to have:
- Experience with the technologies in our stack
- Experience building health technology and/or manipulating health data
- Experience leading and mentoring members of an engineering team
- Previous exposure to clinical operations and/or working with physicians
- A CS degree or equivalent (top tier bootcamp grads welcome!)
You should include these in your application:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile.
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.