Tech Lead Backend Engineer-eCommerce at Peloton
We are looking for a passionate tech lead backend engineer to join our rapidly growing Acquisition Software Engineering team to transform innovative and strategic ideas into integral business systems and tools. You will be responsible for the design, build and deploy of our innovative products and services providing technical leadership and making key architectural decisions. This position has a lot of autonomy and will be able to influence the direction of new and existing projects. We are looking for hands-on coding, mentoring developers as well as designing system architecture. As part of the team, you will support our retail and e-commerce business, from working with our product team and supporting user-facing features, to ensuring data integrity and flow into our financial systems.RESPONSIBILITIES
- Have a strong technical voice in team discussions and decisions. Focus on the whole team’s productivity and strive to increase the impact of the team’s work product.
- Assume technical responsibility for new services and functionality, lookout for opportunities for platform improvement, and work with engineers to scale our production systems.
- Lead, coach, pair with and mentor backend software engineers.
- Establish a relationship with business stakeholders.
- Lead the team in defining technical requirements and solutions and drive projects through to completion.
- Mentor software engineers from diverse backgrounds to nurture a culture of ownership, learning, automation, re-use, and engineering efficiency through the use of software design patterns and industry best practices.
- Contribute to the adoption of software architecture and new technologies.
- Be a leader within your team and the organization.
- Identify and lead technical initiatives to build clean, robust, and performant applications
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members from Product, Design, Program Management in order to deliver against quarterly and annual roadmap objectives.
- Handle planning and breaking down large projects into milestones and identifying risks and dependencies.
- Break down tasks for other engineers and offer guidance to other engineers on the team when they are blocked.
- Engage in code reviews helping maintain our coding standards.
- Achieve on-time delivery without compromising quality.
- 8+ years of relevant experience including e-commerce, web application development, and/or systems.
- At least two years being a tech lead of a group of three or more software engineers.
- Good active listening skills, the ability to empathize with customers, stakeholders and other engineers.
- Experience working using Agile methodology in a fast-paced environment.
- Lead architecture meetings and technical discussions with the focus of reaching consensus and best practice solutions.
- At least three demonstrable experiences in leading the deployments of systems into production.
- Experience in a high-paced, high-growth environment working with deadlines and milestones.
- Comfortable with ambiguity; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done.
- Senior-level with Python or Kotlin and can learn anything you don't already know to get the job done.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Experience with internationalization and localization.
- Have a solid understanding of clean software design principles.
- Experience mentoring engineers with the team-focused mentality for success.
- Experience with data modeling and at least one database engine(Postgres, MySql).
- Experience with distributed systems, CI/CD(Jenkins) tools, and containerizing applications(Kubernetes).
- Proven experience in e-commerce development and integration.
- Work with developers and product owners to create and maintain test automation for our products.
- Work with development teams to understand test automation gaps and implement coverage.
- Have experience using monitoring and metrics to support KPIs and performance of APIs
- B.S. in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent years of work experience.
- Github project(s) or contribute to open source communities.
- Experience with XP practices such as pair programming and Test Driven Development.
- Diverse knowledge of other programming languages and frameworks.
- JVM, microservice, and experience w/ event-driven architecture.
Founded in 2012, Peloton is a global interactive fitness platform that brings the energy and benefits of studio-style workouts to the convenience and comfort of home. We use technology and design to bring our Members immersive content through the Peloton Bike, the Peloton Tread, and Peloton Digital, which provide comprehensive, socially-connected fitness offerings anytime, anywhere. We believe in taking risks and challenging the status quo by continuously innovating and improving. Our team is made up of passionate brand ambassadors, and we know that together, we go far.
Headquartered in New York City, with offices, warehouses and retail showrooms in the US, UK and Canada, Peloton is changing the way people get fit. Peloton has been named to many prestigious industry lists, including Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies, CNBC's Disruptor 50, Crain's New York Business' Tech25 and Fast50, as well as TIME's Genius Companies. Visit www.onepeloton.com/careers to learn more about joining our team.