VP, Platform Engineering and Infrastructure at Happy Money
Sorry, this job was removed at 1:16 p.m. (EST) on Thursday, December 30, 2021
ABOUT HAPPY MONEY
Happy Money® is building a happier and more equitable financial ecosystem that seamlessly blends psychology, technology, and a focus on happiness to help consumers go from borrower to saver, investor, and giver. The company provides a path toward improving financial well-being and securing greater happiness – beginning with paying off credit card debt – through its science-enabled, purpose-driven marketplace between mission-aligned capital and consumers.
Backed by leading investors including Anthemis Group, Tencent Holdings and CMFG Ventures, Happy Money has helped nearly 150,000 members pay off more than $2.7 billion in credit card debt since inception through its award-winning Payoff Loan™. Founded in 2009, Happy Money has a diverse employee base of over 350 people across the United States.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As VP of Platform Engineering and Infrastructure, you will lead the strategy and operations of a multi-divisional organization comprising DevOps, Information Security, IT Operations, Document Services, Core Systems and Product Site Reliability Engineering (SRE). You will be responsible for the build out of our SRE division. The SRE team is slated to design and deliver a scalable PaaS platform supporting the launch of our API Platform enabling 3rd parties to build on our APIs— leveraging our existing and future business platforms to expand our unique position in the marketplace (B2B + B2B2C). This is an opportunity to build an SRE division composed of engineers’ engineers, enabling platform services supporting our API platform and the rest of Engineering, and keep our systems up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
Our ideal candidate has proven industry experience developing platforms at scale. Domain expertise, strategy, technical vision, forward thinking, and influential business acumen are essential — as you will provide key input on technical strategy, roadmap planning, vendor negotiations, office networking, M&A efforts, and partnership opportunities. The right candidate will have a deep background in Network Architecture, Cloud Platforms (AWS), Containerization, Security, Data Governance, Network Topology/Operations, contract negotiation, budget planning; manage all software licenses and contracts, and development of a roadmap in coordination with the greater engineering organization. You are an innovative, forthright, team player who is customer obsessed and passionate about building teams and developing strong leaders and strong technical talent. In this role, you will be at the center of defining Happy Money’s core Infrastructure, PaaS platform, and evangelizing values of love, trust, and hustle across the entire engineering organization — and powering The Happy Money Movement.
If Hired, You Will
- Define the SRE organization charter, vision, strategy, and direction; and manage execution by collaborating with other engineering teams to build and deliver the Happy Money PaaS platform.
- Build a strong, healthy, and diverse team by hiring, mentoring and coaching
- Foster an environment of freedom and responsibility, promote ownership, and be accountable for team plans and deliverables.
- Leverage your experience and leadership to transform existing functions to drive consistency and efficiency through Agile processes, KPIs, and OKRs.
- Provide strong technical leadership to your teams and partner teamsLead teams to drive projects from idea formulation, to design, and to implementation.
- Balance a high quality, high output engineering mindset with the demands of a high growth business.
- Partner and support other organizations within the company to reliably deliver intuitive and highly effective experiences for internal and external customers.
- Align closely with our product organization with a focus on efficiency, capacity, quality, and reliability.
- Align closely with Product, Data Platform, Developer Productivity, and Data Science engineering divisions to ensure platform services meet required capabilities and defined SLOs.
- Own the operational maturity model and drive for operational excellence using the RCA/COE process in collaboration with all of engineering.
- Lead and strengthen the DevOps organization to support and grow our systems and services on AWS, and other Cloud platforms supporting all engineering and HM Customers.
- Own the security posture, planning and implementation of strategies across engineering ensuring our systems and data are protected.
- Align with the L&C to ensure our systems are in compliance with all required regulatory bodies by scheduling routine compliance audits.
- Align with Finance to manage the cost of doing business with focus on operational efficiency, and fiscal accountability for all licensed software and services under management.
- Possess a deep network of experienced professionals, capable and interested in following you to your next leadership opportunity.
- 10+ years of experience in a leadership role managing the full life cycle of employee engagement.
- 10+ years of experience managing distributed development and operations organizationsStrong collaboration, verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven development experience in cloud environments, such as AWS, Azure, and GCP.
- Experience in building distributed systems.
- Experience in building cloud native applications.
- Experience developing platforms leveraging configuration as code to perform multivariate testing and test in production deployment strategies.
- Experience managing agile development teams through the full SDLC.
- Experience with reporting and data visualization technologyCan drill deep into the complex system design and implementation when needed
- BS in Computer Science or related majors, or equivalent experience
BONUS POINTS FOR
- Prior experience in the FinTech Industry.
- Graduate degree in Computer Science.
Here at Happy Money, we live by our core values of Love, Trust, and Hustle and welcome all. Love is shown in how we develop meaningful relationships with everyone we interact with; whether it’s a member or your manager. Trust is shown through how we empower each other to come to work as our true selves and embrace our differences. Hustle is shown through how we fail fast and learn from our mistakes. No one is perfect, we’re all human; if this job description doesn’t exactly match your background, we encourage you to apply anyway!