Controller at SevenFifty
SevenFifty powers a connected supply chain through the industry’s first end-to-end software and data platform. The SevenFifty platform services over 100,000 US alcohol businesses ranging from suppliers, distributors, and on and off-premise retailers.
We’re looking for a Controller to own large parts of our financial systems to accelerate growth for the organization.
This role reports to the VP of Finance and will work closely with executive leadership, owning the technical and operational accounting functions. They will be a key collaborator and a financial leader in the accounting, finance systems, investor relations support, and the FP&A functions in helping the Finance organization scale for growth and be best-in-class.
If this sounds exciting, let’s talk.
What you’ll do:
Leadership: This role manages a team of approximately 3 full-time freelancers with an expectation of additional full-time employees soon. Responsible for leading technical accounting & reporting, accounting operation, and revenue operation. Leads by example and is an effective communicator. Develop relationships with internal business leaders across the organization and establish critical interface between the finance organization and cross functional team outside of the Finance organization
Monitoring: Expected to monitor and manage the month-end close process including all aspects of variance reporting across multiple entities and business lines. Compile financial statements monthly and communicate drivers of variances from budget and forecast. Support FP&A function in updating forecasts and assisting in maintaining aspects of the financial model. Maintain and improve upon internal controls. Assist the FP&A function for a monthly and quarterly variance review as well as budget and forecasting cycle
Financial Reporting/Accuracy: Ensure that we maintain accuracy of the financial statements through a monthly executive review of revenue, expenses, assets and liabilities making sure the recorded figures are verifiable and accurate via workpapers. Ensure financial policy and process are created to ensure accuracy and compliance of key accruals and activities, such as sales compensation and intercompany transactions. Responsible for the revenue cycle management function and maintaining accurate revenue recognition and SaaS KPIs in our reporting software. Responsible for providing guidance and training of new accounting guidance. Be expert on the U.S. GAAP and guide the members of the Controllership. Tax savvy is a plus.
Business Administration: Responsible for the financial reporting and management of insurance policies, and work with outside accountants on tax and compliance matters.
Build Operational Excellence: Continue building a culture of continuous process improvements and automation to build a scalable and best-in-class finance organization. The automation includes, but not limited to system integration where applicable.
What you’ll have:
- 5+ years of related work experience either in accounting or a related field.
- A setup and mindset that enables you to work remotely, collaborating regularly with colleagues over video.
- Experience in performing consolidations of multiple entities.
- CPA license is a plus.
- Strong sense of ethics and professional judgment.
- An interest in and a knack for financial technology as it relates to financial reporting.
- Experience with technical accounting concepts (such as deferred revenue recognition) and other subscription business model related accounting concepts.
- A quick study and the ability to self-direct your learning (take ownership).
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty when needed (grit and determination).
- Ability to convey complex financial concepts in a digestible way that less financially savvy people can understand.
- Experience in public + private accounting, even better if you have SaaS experience as well.
- A desire to work in a fast-paced environment, wearing multiple hats as needed.
Tools you’ll use:
- Working knowledge and high aptitude for Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Quickbooks.
- Accounting knowledge and proficiency of U.S. GAAP.
- Expertise in financial reporting technology and systems (Stripe, Recurly, ChartMogul).
- Knowledge of subscription business models and related accounting principals.
What you do not need:
- 24/7 on-call availability.
- An address in or around New York City — we’re fully remote.
- A car, phone, or any equipment – we’ll provide a computer and Zoom account.
- To drink – many of our colleagues don’t.
...80-ish people and growing fast.
...doing our best to make a difference. Read more here.
...distributed; we work remotely and gather together a few times each year.
...changing an industry. Read more here.
Find out what it's like to work at Sevenfifty here.
Perks & benefits:
- 100% paid individual medical, dental, and vision via Justworks and Aetna.
- Meaningful equity in an industry-changing organization.
- Unlimited vacation to rest and recover.
- Learning opportunities (like a professional certification from WSET).
- Robust culture to foster a sense of community even when working remotely.
- Flexibility to work where you want, so long as you’re meeting your goals.
- Light the way: Inspire others with your vision for success.
- Open the door: Ask, listen, and empower others.
- Stir it up: Embrace experimentation and bring new ideas to life.
- Keep the glass full: Do more than is expected, for yourself and for others.
- Respect the craft: Commit to excellence and integrity in your work.
We are an equal opportunity employer. What does that mean at SevenFifty? We:
- Give each team member an equal opportunity to develop and grow into a leadership role.
- Acknowledge our shortcomings and try to do improve our company and our industry.
- Elevate BIPOC voices in our industry publication, SevenFifty Daily.
- Do not discriminate against candidates or employees on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or socioeconomic status.
- Have regular, sometimes awkward, conversations about diversity, equity, and inclusion in our employee resource group, SevenFifty Community.
- Are honest and recognize that our company isn’t as diverse as it should be. We’re trying to change that.