Controller at Justworks
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
We are seeking a Controller to oversee all aspects of the accounting function, which includes, timely and accurate reporting of all consolidated financial reports and statements with supporting schedules in accordance with US GAAP and serving as the primary liaison for both internal and external auditors. You are someone who has experience in and gets excited about developing teams and building new systems, processes, and creating efficiencies. This position will report directly to the VP of Accounting.Your Success ProfileWhat You Will Work On
- Establish and implement Accounting policies and procedures in accordance with
- US GAAP and company standards
- Oversee internal and external monthly financial reports in order to provide a precise
- review of the company’s current and projected financial position, ensuring integrity of
- Evaluates current practices and policies and drives continuous improvement, researches
- and analyzes accounting matters
- Coordinates monthly closing process and prepares work papers and supporting schedules
- for the quarterly financial review and annual financial audit
- Primary liaison with internal and external auditors during financial and operational audits
- Maintains and strengthens key internal and external relationships, including Senior
- Management Team, VPs, Directors, Auditors and Consultants
- Detail-oriented - exercises extreme attention to detail; is thorough, accurate, organized, and productive and seeks to understand both the cause and effect of a situation.
- Ethical practice - the ability to integrate core values, integrity and accountability throughout all organizational and business practices.
- Clear communication - the ability to articulate thoughts and express ideas effectively using oral, written, visual and non-verbal communication skills, as well as listening skills to gain understanding.
- Analytical - uses a logical reasoning process to break down and work through a situation or problem to arrive at an outcome.
- Good judgement - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Minimum of 7 years of progressive accounting experience that includes, minimum of 3 years of experience as an Assistant Controller or Controller
- Public accounting combined with public company experience. IPO experience is a big plus but not required
- Has successfully scaled accounting operations and teams in fast paced and dynamic environments. Keeps abreast of deadlines
- Must foster a culture of learning and growth
- Exceptional organizational skills, analytically-minded, and results oriented
- Clear and effective communicator
- NetSuite experience is highly desirable
- CPA is required
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Our DEI Commitment