Director, SEC Reporting
Fluent is a fast-growing company transforming online advertising through a commitment to performance and people-based marketing. Backed by a powerful team of experts, Fluent’s customer acquisition platform uses real-time, self-reported consumer insights to help our clients reach, acquire, and retain their ideal customers. As the company continues to grow, the team is proud to be a premier acquisition partner to hundreds of leading brands; we also have a shiny trophy case with some tokens from Crain’s and Forbes.
The Director, SEC Reporting will support the team as we build a scalable infrastructure with strong internal controls. This is a full-time role reporting directly to the CFO and will fully own the SEC reporting and technical accounting processes. As a public company, strong attention to detail and an understanding of the importance of consistency and documentation for controls is required.
In addition to SEC reporting, you will serve as the primary person to research, analyze, document, and implement transactions that require a technical accounting assessment including implementing any new standards. Your role will also be responsible to assist in the analysis and review of consolidated financial results, assembling of financial statement disclosures, and review of ongoing business operations with corporate accounting, FP&A, IR, and Tax to identify, analyze, and document transactions that require a technical accounting assessment. This role requires efficient and effective communication amongst all teams providing SEC filing input. Prior experience in a similar role and Big 4 experience with public company clients is required.
SEC Reporting and Coordination:
* Timely and accurate coordination and preparation of data for XBRL transmission for 10-Q and 10-K filing, including financial statements, footnotes and MD&A
* Lead efficient coordination of SEC filing comments and edits, including clear communication of deadlines and drafting of new footnotes and other disclosures
* On a quarterly basis, with the SVP of Finance and Controller, coordinate preparation of all comparative consolidated financial statements, including cash flow and stockholder’s equity, with attention to detail in relation to internal consistency and prior period continuity
* Prepare quarterly income statement and balance sheet analytics, comparing and documenting significant fluctuations between reporting periods
* Work closely with the general accounting team and FP&A to ensure appropriate classification of income statement and balance sheet transactions for proper financial statement presentation on an ongoing basis
* Stay informed on Regulation S-X and S-K requirements and apply to financial statement presentation and supporting footnote disclosures within quarterly and annual SEC filings
* Prepare all required financial statement disclosures and review the disclosure checklist to ensure completeness, identifying new or updated disclosures that may impact the company
* Review any 8-Ks, including the Press Release, containing financial data for consistency and accuracy with the consolidated financial statements underlying support
* Stay informed on new accounting guidance for applicability to the company, particularly the upcoming implementation of the new revenue recognition and leasing standards
* Work closely with the CFO, VP of Finance and Controller to monitor ongoing and upcoming business transactions to identify any that require a technical accounting assessment
* Coordinate with corporate accounting, FP&A, and other teams as necessary on a regular basis to obtain supporting documentation and an understanding of new or unusual business transactions
* Perform technical research on identified business transactions as required, document and communicate findings, and integrate any accounting implications into the month-end close process
* Maintain organized project plans and documentation for the assessment and application of newly adopted accounting standards
* Assist with special projects as requested by the CFO, SVP of Finance or Controller
* Work closely with the external audit team and internal controls team to provide supporting documents related to the quarterly and annual financial reporting process
The ideal candidate will have:
* 7-10 years of experience, with at least four years of progressive accounting experience in a global SEC-filing organization or as an auditor for a global SEC-filer at a big four accounting firm.
* BS Degree in Accounting (MBA/MSA a plus). CPA certification is required.
* A passion for leveraging systems and driving process improvements
* Ability to think critically and recognize discrepancies and anomalies through analysis.
* Ability to prioritize and work proactively and independently, productively collaborating with relevant teams as necessary to manage priorities and meet deadlines.
* Experience in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
* Experience successfully implementing issued accounting pronouncements, including research on application, communication and rollout to impacted teams, and updates to required disclosures.
* Experience working with international entities, consolidations and foreign exchange.
We also expect the Director of SEC Reporting to be:
* An exemplary collaborator and communicator. You’ll regularly interact with team members within and outside of the accounting team, providing high levels of customer service and motivating them to make improvements. You have an ability to communicate directly, concisely and with a balanced tone, on paper and verbally, formally and informally.
* A strong critical thinker. You enjoy figuring out the best path forward and don’t stop when you hit a speed bump. You identify challenges, analyze the root causes, seek to understand rationale behind current processes and only then propose change. You anticipate issues before they arise, providing solutions to avoid fire drills.
* Collaborative, Passionate & Positive. You’re excited about being a part of Fluent, eager contribute, learn, ask lots of questions and execute improvements. Challenges are opportunities to showcase your skills.
* Thorough, accurate & highly organized. You will be tasked with researching and documenting technical accounting matters, preparing financial statement disclosures, maintaining quarterly financial statements, and identifying and addressing fluctuations within key financial reports. You will have strong organizational skills allowing you to manage multiple priorities while meeting deadlines with high quality work and communicating to your manager.
At Fluent, we like what we do and we like who we do it with. Our team is a tight-knit crew of go-getters; we love to celebrate our successes! In addition to two fully-stocked kitchens, catered breakfast and lunch, and free workout classes on site, our office manager keeps the calendar stocked with activity-filled events. When we’re not eating, working out, or planning parties, Fluent folks can be found participating in recreational sports leagues, networking with She Runs It, and bonding with across teams during quarterly outings to baseball games, fancy dinners, and pizza-making classes. And we have all the practical benefits, too…
- Competitive salary
- Discounted gym memberships
- Ample career and professional growth opportunities
- Open office space for team collaboration
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401K with generous employer match
- The amazing opportunity to work for a high-flying performance marketing company!