At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
The Director of Payroll Compliance is a subject matter expert that provides Justworks’ businesses with mission critical statutory guidance and support for highly complex requirements with respect to payroll calculations, payroll processes, payroll tax administration and reporting to keep systems and operations statutorily compliant.Your Success ProfileWhat You Will Work On
The role's main focus is to monitor, assess, interpret, analyze, communicate and implement legislative and statutory requirements impacting US Federal, States, Territories and Locals.
- Research and communicate information about current payroll laws, taxes/wage legislation, and company procedures to ensure compliance and customer understanding
- When questions arise on payroll, withholdings and taxes, be the go-to person to provide answers, keeping the customer's experience top of mind
- Handle highly complex escalated issues, tax notices or tax audits for federal, state and local agencies
- Build robust formulas, validations, and review processes that enable you to successfully validate all payroll earnings, deductions, and taxes. These validations will help you ensure the accuracy and completeness of our payrolls each pay period, and at quarter and year end.
- Keep business partners (customer success, payroll operations, tax operations, unemployment insurance) informed and ahead of statutory/legislative items that affect payroll, payroll tax processing, payroll tax reporting and associated benefits
- Assess statutory impact and make recommendations for system and business requirements and implementation
- Research and track pending legislation and agency changes via jurisdictional website searches, tax publications and newspaper reviews, to keep abreast of payroll, payroll tax and payroll tax reporting trends and issues that may potentially impact to Justworks’ products and services
- Support internal control compliance initiatives, testing and remediation; ensure that payroll tax processes and procedures are updated. Provide guidance internally to Justworks’ Government Affairs and Legal departments
- Act as SME and provide support internally and externally for initiatives as needed when Justworks expands into new jurisdictions and business services
- Detail-oriented - exercises extreme attention to detail; is thorough, accurate, organized, and productive and seeks to understand both the cause and effect of a situation.
- Ethical practice - the ability to integrate core values, integrity and accountability throughout all organizational and business practices.
- Clear communication - the ability to articulate thoughts and express ideas effectively using oral, written, visual and non-verbal communication skills, as well as listening skills to gain understanding.
- Analytical - uses a logical reasoning process to break down and work through a situation or problem to arrive at an outcome.
- Good judgement - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Minimum 8 years of directly related experience working in a compliance, payroll and/or technical environment
- Minimum 10 years of experience providing tax consulting and advisory services preferably to a diverse set of small and medium businesses from multiple industries
- Experience with reading, interpreting, and communicating complex federal and state legislation
- Good business partnership instincts: an ability to quickly develop trusted relationships among functional peers in senior management
- An orientation towards being thoughtfully decisive, with a bias toward action
- Good communication skills that is suitable for a fast paced, rapid decision-making environment
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Our DEI Commitment