Finance & Strategy Associate
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm makes it easier to be smarter. We are redefining how to build products that fit into routines, and we take a user-centric, collaborative approach while doing so. theSkimm started as two friends on a couch and have since purchased more couches and gotten new friends, er... employees. Skimm HQ works hard but knows when to take breaks and when it's time to update the Spotify playlist. We drink the kool-aid but know we're drinking it. Through our suite of products, we are disrupting routines and information consumption one Skimm'r at a time. Come join us, we're changing things.
theSkimm is looking to hire a Finance and Strategy Associate to help scale the Finance function and support the needs of a growing company. Reporting to the Head of Finance, you’ll work closely with theSkimm’s Accounting team and various department heads across the company. You will own key elements of the Finance function and work on initiatives that will help continue to drive our business forward.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Own the company’s financial model
- Participate in monthly close processes and preparation of materials for key executives
- Assist in budgeting and forecasting initiatives across the company and provide monthly and quarterly updates
- Assist in preparing materials for the Board of Directors and quarterly reporting for theSkimm’s investors
- Lead ad-hoc analyses by working with our cross-functional Paid Acquisitions, Data Science and Sales teams to drive strategic decisions across the company
- Partner with our Accounting team to ensure proper classification of revenue and expenses
WHAT WOULD SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- BSc/BA in accounting, finance, business or relevant field
- 2-5 years of experience in investment banking, management consulting or private equity
- Strong grasp of financial fundamentals and a mastery of Excel and Powerpoint
- Self-starter with an eagerness to learn new skills (QuickBooks, Looker, Salesforce) that will allow you to engage with adjacent business functions (customer acquisition, Sales operations, Data Science, People / Recruiting and Strategic Partnerships)
- Track record of thriving in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Start-up experience in a rapidly growing financial organization
- Experience in media and strategy
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance reviews aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- 'MassMutual' 401(k) program
- Free 'One Medical' Membership
- Free 'Headspace' Membership
- Subsidized family planning and fertility benefits through 'Carrot Fertility'
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered meals and drinks during our weekly "Sip’n Skimm" all-hands meeting and twice-monthly "Skimm'e A Drink!" happy hour
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY