Indirect Tax Manager at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate high performing team players who can take new challenges and go the extra mile.
We are looking for a tax professional that is intrigued by the ever-changing tax environment related to digital services and products. As part of the tax team, you will be responsible for various indirect tax compliance areas across our multiple jurisdictions. You are great at making tax sound easy, both in written and oral communications. You navigate an evolving tax landscape and a growing Company with ease, and you adapt quickly.
You will play an integral role on the Finance team focusing on cross-functional tax dependencies, and will nurture a collaborative environment, while being very organized and paying close attention to the details. You have the confidence to be our main advocate to establish and maintain adherence to the process and procedures related to our indirect tax compliance.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Work directly with our third-party provider to prepare and/or review monthly, quarterly, and annual global indirect tax returns including US sales tax, VAT, GST, gross receipts, and other indirect taxes in multiple jurisdictions.
- Work cross-functionally to help assess tax implications of new product offerings and maintain the product taxability matrix by performing tax research and leveraging tax advisors as needed
- Keep up with various global legislative and regulatory updates related to indirect taxes in order to assess and communicate any potential impact
- Ensure accurate and timely VAT recoverability across multiple jurisdictions
- Analyze purchase data and perform research to ensure proper taxability for use tax accruals
- Assist with indirect tax cash forecasting
- Ensure timely filing and remittance of indirect taxes
- Maintain monthly indirect tax account reconciliations using Blackline
- Prepare indirect tax account journal entries and reversals
- Assist with tax exemption certificate approvals for our monthly billing cycle
- Assist with related tax audits as they arise
- Provide insights and recommendations related to process improvement and data automation
- Involvement with special projects as they arise
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Prior experience with indirect taxes
- Excellent analytical and communication skills
- Team player
- Experience interacting with third party service providers
- Master’s degree in Taxation a plus
- CPA preferred but not required
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Finance team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!