Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
As a Manager, Actuarial Services at Cityblock, you will be a risk management and technical resource supporting Cityblock as we continue to expand and refine our services, with different partners across multiple existing and expansion geographies. You will also be responsible for continuing to build out our contracting approaches with other providers/risk-bearing entities. In your role, you will work closely with peers and leaders from across the business, including the New Bets, Finance, Medical Economics, Network, and Market leaders.
- New Bets and Network:
- You will be directly responsible for financial modelling and risk assessment of opportunities tangential to the Cityblock core business, i.e. New Bets.
- You will formalize actuarial support around the evaluation, modelling, contracting and ongoing management of 3rd party risk sharing relationships, including partner sharing under Direct Contracting partners.
- You will be asked to understand the impact of regulatory developments critical to New Bets (e.g. benchmark and or rate updates, changes in reimbursable benefits) and share insights across the team and across the organization.
- In this capacity you will work closely with the Director, Growth and Partner Analytics, Finance, and the respective business teams.
- Special Projects:
- Collaborate with specialists across the Analytics and Actuarial areas to help answer specific questions from Cityblock company or Finance Leadership, typically in the areas of claims observations, experiences of specific member profiles, or experience with specific external providers.
- In this capacity you will work closely with the Head Actuary, and actuarial and Analytics leads.
If you are inspired by a role where you have scope to help shape an organization’s portfolio and partnerships; if you enjoy bringing your actuarial skills to real business questions, and if seeing your work impact the lives of others, we would love for you to consider joining our team.
Requirements for the Role:
- You have 4+ years of industry experience. You have either an Analytics focus including 2+ years of prior experience with payer-provider contracting in a value-based setting OR you are progressing towards your actuarial credentials, and have 2+ years of experience with Medicaid and/or value-based care.
- You have strong analytical and problem-solving skills. You have the ability to synthesize data from various non-standardized data sets and an appreciation for selection bias that may be introduced through the data generation process.
- You are fluent in SQL, and enjoy hands-on development of analyses. You have exhibited the ability to articulate risk and to value trade-offs.
- You have a track record of working in cross-functional teams, a proven capability of communicating detailed technical analyses to technical and less technical audiences, and extracting salient insights for business partners.
- You enjoy a dynamic environment and are able to make progress on multiple projects at the same time. You have a continuous improvement mindset that drives innovation to identify and implement incremental efficiencies over time.
- You want to contribute personally and directly to a mission-oriented company. You are not in it for yourself.
How We Define Success:
- You partner with the New Bets team to evaluate opportunities associated with product line expansion. You take ownership of analytics based on benchmark, public or partner data to validate opportunities and support the business case development.
- You are adept at identifying and communicating market-specific risks, and quantifying potential impacts. You are comfortable outlining risk-growth trade-offs.
- You provide Cityblock leadership with consistent, balanced summaries of findings to support contracting decisions. You are an active contributor to shaping and supporting negotiation strategy.
- You work with Data, Finance, Actuarial and Medial Economics to support new partner implementation, to communicate insights from contracting, and to help develop expectations for contract financial performance.
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- Prior experience working in a high growth, start-up environment
- Experience working with Medicaid and/or Duals programs, and CMS Value Based programs
- Proficiency in R or Python
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.