Senior Accountant at Cockroach Labs
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?About the Role
We are hiring a Senior Accountant to help us scale our finance and accounting operations. You have a proven track record of working collaboratively with different business teams, implementing scalable and efficient solutions to meet our business needs. You will have the opportunity to be a key contributor to a high growth environment and strengthen your understanding of operational accounting processes. The ideal candidate for this role has a positive hands-on attitude and will develop strong working relationships with cross-functional partners to keep the business ahead of emerging accounting issues. You must be located in NYC for this role.You Will
- Execute the monthly and annual financial close, including account reconciliations, entering journal entries, and maintaining accurate records and files
- Perform a detailed review of expense accounts for proper accruals, coding and accounting and will investigate reporting discrepancies / anomalies and communicate issues as they arise in a timely manner.
- Contribute to existing processes, structures, and systems to assist in the identification of improvement opportunities with a focus on simplification, standardization and optimization, especially the reduction of manual, Excel-based activities.
- Continually develop, expand and improve month end close and financial reporting procedures and help drive the reduction of the close timeline by assessing and streamlining close-related activities.
- Support the year-end financial statement audit, as well as any statutory audits that may arise.
In your first 30 days, you will learn all about Cockroach Labs, the team's policies and procedures and systems. We believe that it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our accounting process, technology, and our company.
After 3 months, you'll be integrated into the team and will be a hands on contributor to the Company's day-to-day operations and month end close procedures, working closely with the Accounting Manager.
After 6 months, you will complete the functions of the staff accountant with limited supervision and will help continuously shape best-in-class processes and procedures as the team continues their pursuit of excellence!You Have
- 2-3 years of relevant accounting experience, specifically at a SaaS company
- A passion for detail and can operate in a fast paced, deadline driven environment
- Experience as a self-starter with outstanding analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- A positive attitude and self-motivated team player
- Strong knowledge of Excel, including pivot tables and v-lookup formulas
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field and have either completed or are in the process of completing your CPA
Reporting to Austin Wernecke - Accounting Manager
Austin is an Accounting and Finance professional with a decade of experience in the field. Prior to joining Cockroach Labs, Austin worked in audit for RSM for 8 years, focusing on small to mid-sized technology companies in the NYC area. He has familiarity with private company and SEC guidelines from his time at RSM and maintains an active CPA license. He hails from Baltimore originally but has grown to love New York over the last 6 years of living there. Outside of work he enjoys running, playing piano, and playing squash (when not nursing an injury).Our Benefits
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected].