Senior Revenue Accountant at Better (Remote)
Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
Our Accounting and Finance team is hiring for a proactive and motivated Senior Revenue Accountant. This individual will enhance the revenue accounting environment by preparing and streamlining the accounting for mortgage fundings and settlements. The focus will be on maintaining accurate accounting for the Company’s mortgage business and working seamlessly across various departments to understand the complete mortgage process and investigate any errors or outliers. This role offers the unique opportunity to directly impact Better’s revenue streams by applying finance and accounting related findings to our books and financial models. An instrumental hire as the company continues to scale, this individual will be expected to take on more responsibility at a rapid pace.
Responsibilities will include:
- Review cash transactions daily to investigate and resolve any unusual transactions
- Compile funding and settlement information for the month to prepare monthly journal entries
- Prepare bank reconciliations, warehouse loan held for sale and line of credit reconciliations monthly
- Participate in the month end close process by taking ownership of various tasks and supporting schedules
- Investigate and resolve issues with funding and settlement transactions
- Collaborate with non-accounting coworkers to get accurate information for proper revenue accounting
- Listen to, learn form, and partner with members of various departments to continuously develop skill set
- Aid in integrations between our ERP and additional software tools to automate and scale the business
- Educate coworkers regarding financial practices, implications, and policies
- Provide ad hoc analysis support to business leaders and key partners for complex accounting questions
- Degree in accounting, business or finance
- 3-5 years of experience in an accounting firm or industry
- Adaptable to multiple and frequent changes in business environment
- Proven expertise with Excel (combining large data sets, sumifs, pivot tables, vlookups, etc)
- Experience working with Netsuite and Gsuite a plus
- Proven ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Constantly looking to improve on processes; never satisfied with the status quo
- Proactively look to improve on processes
- Stakeholder management skills
For Colorado-based candidates: Minimum salary of $73,000 + bonus potential, equity, and benefits.
Disclosure of minimum annual salary required by sb19-085(8-5-20) for opportunities in Colorado.
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.