Director, Diversity Inclusion and Employee Engagement (JR101573) at Better
Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
A Better Opportunity:
Better is hiring a Director to help scale its DEI strategy, delivering DEI initiatives to improve outcomes across the organization. This position will be responsible for owning DEI strategy, leading cross-functional programs. The Director will work closely with the People Org (Talent Acquisition, People Development, People Systems, HRBP, and Employee Services) and Business Affairs, leading a DEI bridge team to ensure adoption and alignment on DEI priorities. The ERG Program Manager and DEI Program Manager will report into the Senior Manager, helping drive outcomes for an equitable employee experience for all Better employees across all locations
Responsibilities will include:
- Design and deliver strategic DEI programs, partnering across People Org teams on attraction, development, engagement and retention initiatives including but not limited to onboarding, org-wide pulse surveys and performance review cycles
- Own DEI goal-setting and OKRs, acting as the DEI point of contact for internal reporting on program updates working closely with other People Team Leads
- Partner with Better India to formulate org-wide DEI Global Strategy and promote org-wide alignment and adoption
- Partner with Business Affairs and the People Org on annual DEI auditing and reporting , incorporating insights into new programs
- Act as the key point of contact in providing expertise on company-wide initiatives and pilots that impact DEI at Better
- Act as a key point of contact to departmental leaders on DEI best practices
- Manage national programs such as speaker series, book clubs and pilots working closely with vendors and stakeholders
- Collaborate with closely with the Public Affairs team on external initiatives such as the Fintech Equality Coalition and DEI recognition programs
- Partner with Internal Communications on internal org-wide communications on DEI including cultural months, events, and internal programs
- Monitor internal DEI data, working closely with People Systems on reporting and dashboards
- Oversee the management of internal DEI data, working with PR and Communications on external facing efforts, and partnering closely with the Senior Director of Business Affairs on internal readouts
- Partner with Design and Marketing on external facing collateral to highlight Better’s ongoing DEI developments across social media accounts and website
- Work closely with the DEI Recruiting team to align on demographic goal-setting and benchmarks
- Manage and partner with the ERG Program Manager in supporting the Better’s ERG Program, focusing on ERG events, Chair leadership development, cross-functional initiatives and measuring the program’s impact
- Manage and partner with the DEI Project Manager on Better DEI projects and collateral such as the monthly DEI Newsletter as well as related playbooks, decks, one-pagers
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Extensive experience developing and overseeing programs focused on DEI, organizational culture, and/or employee engagement
- Experience leading cross-functional initiatives while navigating ambiguity and standing up new initiatives in a fast-paced work environments, executing many projects in parallel with attention to detail
- Excellent relationship-building skills, with a strong ability to partner cross-functionally and bring senior stakeholders together in order to drive change
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High personal integrity and ability to exhibit a high level of confidentiality
- Ability to anticipate potential problems before they arise
- A working knowledge of DEI workplace trends and tools
- A history of successfully advocating on behalf of disadvantaged populations
- An empathetic learner who understands the importance of working across different working styles and being mindful of diverse experiences and perspectives
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and their families, and we require vaccines out of an abundance of caution. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.