Director of Human Resources at Casper
Reporting to the Chief People Officer, the Director of Human Resources (Director - People) will be a key actor in developing and implementing Casper’s people strategies, policies and initiatives. You will empower and enable an engaged and effective workforce poised to deliver Casper's success. A natural leader with exceptional judgement and integrity, you will act as an ambassador for People initiatives large and small. Our ideal candidate is thoughtful, empathetic, enthusiastic and a self-starter who can juggle multiple projects and wear multiple hats.
Casper (casper.com) was created to re-imagine sleep from the ground up, beginning with its obsessively engineered, outrageously comfortable mattress. All of Casper’s sleep products — including its pillow, bedding, and furniture — are developed in-house by the company’s award-winning R&D team in San Francisco. Casper was named one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in the World and its eponymous mattress was crowned one of TIME Magazine's Best Inventions.
We are deeply committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce so that we represent all those who dream big equally.When you’re not catching zzz’s, this is what you’ll do
- Key business partner to functional leaders on all things people and people operations.
- Organizational Design: Review current organization design and make recommendations to Chief People Officer and functional leaders regarding areas for change or evolution.
- Co-lead the Performance Management activity and provide Talent Development through coaching and guidance: develop high performer development plans with managers; address low performers
- Organizational effectiveness: assess and recommend realignment opportunities in view to best team and org structure 0-6 months; 12-18 months; how to migrate effectively, talent planning
- Recruitment - source, select and hire best talent for openings; working with leaders and managers
- Manage recruitment strategically factoring in Service Level Agreements, Diversity Equity and Inclusion, etc.
- Conduct onboarding focus groups and exit interviews, reviewing data quarterly for key themes and opportunities to impact how we work and employee experience; make recommendations for improvement.
- Employee Experience: participate regularly in employee experience activities and working groups (i.e. DEI, employee comms)
- Share and implement modern and relevant practices in areas of organizational effectiveness, recruiting and retention.
- Contribute to the development of People practices and policies such as global mobility, performance reviews, internal promotions, other workplace policies.
- Address and investigate employee relations matters through to resolution; develop communications & document findings and outcomes.
- Work across the organization and with the Head of Compensation and Benefits to develop compensation & benefits programs and processes that ensure market competitiveness, internal equity, process efficiency, and compliance.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant government regulations, as applicable.
- Work with People counterparts in Total Rewards and Training on the annual compensation and bonus review process; creating and refining tools; managing rollups.
- Working with CPO, participate in the build/development of the broader People team
- Member of People Leads senior team.
- Develop own team, build capability and competency (team of 3).
- Be a brand ambassador and represent the Casper culture.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 10+ years progressive Human Resources experience
- Commercial experience as a member of a People team with solid knowledge and experience, ideally in a multi-channel physical products company
- Experience in organization(s) that have experience hyper change and growth (leaders, structure)
- Strong generalist expertise (with a “major” in recruiting/talent and organizational design)
- Public company experience required
- Working knowledge of government regulations that apply to Human Resources (SHRM)
- Experience developing and delivering solutions to a Head of People, CEO, and Sr. Leaders; experience developing and delivering to a Board of private or public company, preferred
- Demonstrated strength in project management and planning, from idea to execution
- Hands-on and rolls up sleeves; comfortable teaching and developing others
- Able to distill and simplify complex scenarios both verbally and in writing
- Has successfully managed and developed a world-class team of direct reports
- Has intellectual curiosity; loves the People function and all its dimensions
- Able to flourish in a fast-paced, scrappy, decision-oriented culture that is “building the car as they are driving it”
- Great negotiator; professionally mature
- High energy, positive and optimistic; by nature, a “why don’t we….” person
- Great listener
- Highly collaborative, yet also self-directed; anticipates and takes initiative
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including tact, discretion and ethics
- Able to do light travel — SF*
*In-office is not required until Jan 2021; once we are back in office, likely very flexible in office schedule.
**If business critical and/or Post COVID
- Salary to pay your bills, a potential bonus for some splurging, and equity so that you’re part of the Casper family
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance to help you with those coughs or cavities
- Unlimited vacation policy. If you need time off just take it; we trust you!
- Wellness programs like cash incentives for tracking sleep and fitness, credits for your favorite studios and in-office activities
- A full gifted bed set when you join and product discounts for friends and family!
If you dream about this stuff this job is probably right for you. We look forward to learning more about you!