Payroll Analyst at Better.com
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding $1 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $9 billion in loans and $1 billion in insurance
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #964 on Inc.’s 2019 “5000 Fastest-Growing Companies”
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Better.com is looking for a highly motivated Payroll Analyst to join the Accounting team in our rapidly growing company of over 3,000 domestic and international employees. Sitting at the intersection of Accounting and People Operations, you will be responsible for administering all aspects of payroll from diligent record keeping and reconciliations and analysis, to implementation of best practices. The ideal candidate thrives in collaborative, fast-paced environments and is committed to continual process improvement and customer experience.
Responsibilities will include:
- Execute all matters related to payroll administration and reconciliation, including but not limited to payroll processing and payroll taxes, reporting on a biweekly, quarterly, and annual basis
- Partner with People Operations to continually improve employee record keeping and process management related to payroll
- Build and maintain a good working knowledge of wage legislation, industry standards, and best practices, incorporating standards into processes and procedures
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders to make payroll system enhancements or resolve payroll issues
- Contribute to the implementation of new technology as part of scaling our business
- Build and maintain employee confidence and trust by promptly responding to requests and protecting the confidentiality of payroll operations
- Work with the Accounting and Finance teams to ensure access to accurate payroll data for month-end close and other ad hoc financial reports
- 2+ years of experience as a payroll and benefits specialist at a medium to large-sized company.
- Experience with payroll systems and HRIS, preferably Workday.
- Experience with Workday platform and implementation in particular a big plus
- Knowledge and experience with US labor law, tax and compliance as well as all federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, including COBRA, FMLA, and DOL/FLSA requirements
- Interested and informed on emerging technologies and are always looking for improvement, automation, and efficiency in processes
- Able to thrive in an extremely fast paced environment
- Detail oriented, deadline driven and work well under pressure with a high degree of accuracy
- Able to communicate clearly and concisely in oral and written forms across teams
- Ability to comfortably interact with employees of all levels of experience and seniority, across the organization and uses diplomacy and discretion when dealing with sensitive employee payroll and benefit matters
- Thrives in a startup environment where you are given the freedom to take ownership, and you adjust quickly to changing priorities, conditions and other ad-hoc tasks as they may come along
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.