People Operations Manager
Orchard is transforming the way people buy and sell their homes. Simplifying it, to the way it should have always been; fair and true to market, straightforward, easy. Every year in the U.S., $1.5 trillion of single family residences transact, generating over $120 billion of fees in a process that has changed little in decades. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety and is filled with uncertainty and hassle.
Orchard offers a modern alternative, making one of life's biggest decisions -- the sale and purchase of a home –stress free, fair and simple.
Orchard launched in 2017 and was previously known as Perch. The company is headquartered in New York City, has 100+ employees and has grown 10x year over year. We have raised over $300 million in financing from top tier investors including: Firstmark, Accomplice, Navitas and Juxtapose.
About the Role
The People Operations Manager will partner directly with the Head of People to build the people operations function from the ground up. The ideal candidate is a true generalist and thrives in high growth environments building, scaling, and evolving people, culture, and HR programs and processes. In this role, you will roll up your sleeves with a “no task too small” mentality while also thinking strategically about the broader needs of people operations function.
Initially the role will be hands on in building and executing across many functional areas of HR such as culture & engagement, onboarding, employee experience, employee relations, compensation & benefits, performance management, compliance, and learning & development. As we build and scale the people operations team, the role will evolve and become the “glue” to the HR department acting as a head of operations within the department and will partner with specialists across the team to ensure a seamless operation and employee experience.
What you’ll do
- Create scalable, cohesive HR infrastructure that is tailored to employees at all levels.
- Lead evaluation and implementation of HR platforms and systems. Today that includes owning our PEO relationship and all aspects of execution for it. In the future its evaluating and implementing an HRIS and other technology solutions (e.g. performance management, employee engagement tools, etc.).
- Partner with the recruiting team on the hand off from candidate to end to end onboarding experience, creating seamless, scalable, and highly effective processes that ensure new employees feel welcomed, ramped, and integrated into the business and team.
- Develop, implement, enforce policies that are compliant, practical, and are aligned with the culture and environment we want to create for our employees and to support the business.
- Engage with employees on employee relations matters, cultural initiatives, and day to day process development and improvement to provide a work environment conducive to success.
- Research, benchmark, manage our comprehensive compensation, benefits and perks offering.
- Review and develop benefit options including: retirement / 401k, PTO, maternity/paternity leave plans, wellness and other rewards programs that are competitive, comprehensive, and well-utilized.
- Partner with Head of People to review current compensation strategy and make recommendations for best practices in attracting and retaining people in a competitive market. Operationalize compensation practices in recruitment and through employee life cycle.
- Partner with the Head of People on assisting managers with communication and coaching with respect to performance management, team development and employee relations.
- True HR generalist and program manager
- 5+ years of work experience in various areas of HR and project management
- Highly skilled at creating and implementing scalable process that creates efficiency and effectiveness across the HR function and broader business/team
- Must be metric and process-driven while also flexible
- The confidence to collaborate and challenge leadership and executives for the right reasons
- Comfortable in a dynamic, entrepreneurial, and always evolving startup environment