People Ops Manager at Better.com
We’re one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re making homeownership simpler, faster — and most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what it’s like to buy and own a home in this country, we’re building things that don’t exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
- We fund $600 million in home loans per month
- Nearly $5 billion in loans funded since our inception in 2016
- 2 years running, we’re one of Crain’s “Best Places to work”
- We’re #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in NYC
- And #964 on Inc.’s 2019 “5000 Fastest-Growing Companies”
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
- ...and counting
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank. Plus, our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, and others have all invested in our vision of redefining the entire homebuying journey.
A Better opportunity:
Through the combined efforts of recruiting, human resources, and office management, the People Operations team works to create and foster a positive and productive employee experience. We take ownership of everything from the smallest details - like keeping the right snacks in stock - to the largest projects, such as structuring performance management to make sure that every member of the team feels supported, positively challenged, and able to thrive at Better. We have fun, love what we do, and care deeply about building a Better workplace.
We are looking for a People Operations Manager to help oversee the growth of our New York office. In this role, you will work as a thought partner with our people ops team on everything from human capital management to employee happiness efforts. We’re in hyper-growth mode so we need someone with the drive and passion to execute day-in and day-out, eager to partner and collaborate with various stakeholders on retaining top talent. This person will be responsible for the employee lifecycle experience helping to set and manage expectations of employees from day one. Success in this role requires a high degree of organization, strong communication skills, creative thinking and the ability to maintain composure in a fast-paced environment.
Responsibilities will include:
- Counseling managers and employees on a variety of HR-related questions and issues
- Conducting all onboarding and offboarding procedures, such as facilitating new-hire orientations, trainings, exit interviews, and separation agreements
- Building and strengthening the delivery and execution of people ops programs, operations and services that enhance our employee experience
- Monitoring the “pulse" of overall environment and employee engagement and working with managers to increase retention
- Ensuring adherence to all HR policies and any employment-related legal, regulatory and compliance requirement
- Generating any reports and analytics upon request
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work with a variety of people
- Exemplary organizational skills and attention to detail
- High personal integrity and ability to exhibit a high level of confidentiality
- Ability to multitask and manage priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to anticipate potential problems before they arise
- Knowledge of federal and California employment laws, regulations and best practices
- A record of academic achievement (BA/BS required) and keen intellectual ability
- 3-5+ years of HR/People Operations experience and recruiting
- The desire to crush it
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.