Legal Summer Fellow at Cityblock Health
Cityblock Health is a new type of healthcare company, operating out of Brooklyn and backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs, along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to radically improve the health of urban communities, one block at a time. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we bring the capability to deliver care in the home and neighborhood with our field-based teams.
In close collaboration with community based organizations and a leading commercial partner, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. We deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services through a network of neighborhood hubs with deep community-based partnerships and world-class technology.
We partner with payers and at-risk providers, taking capitated financial risk to care for their most vulnerable, high and rising risk members. Additionally, we invest in strategic partnerships with community-based and social services organizations, in some instances bringing them into the value equation through sub-capitation and performance-based compensation.
Over the next year we’ll grow quickly, including entering new markets, each with their own commercial relationships and field-based teams. This role will be a key contributor to the success of our business.
About the role:
We’re seeking a Legal Summer Fellow to support our growing legal function. Reporting to our Corporate Counsel, you contribute to our legal operations via projects pertaining to health care regulatory research. This is an ideal role for an 1L law student who is eager to make tangible impact at a rapidly scaling healthcare startup.
- Assist our Corporate Counsel in conducting legal research and preparing various types of work product summarizing findings
- Collaborate with our Corporate Counsel and Manager of Compliance to draft legal and compliance educational & training materials
- Assist our Manager of Legal Operations on projects pertaining to business and legal operations
- Prepare presentations educating the business on important legal concepts; sit in on meetings and document notes
Requirements for the role:
- You’re currently enrolled in Law School and interested in working in-house some day
- You’re flexible and scrappy, with the ability to multitask and manage your time effectively
- You’re passionate about Cityblock’s mission
- You want to see the inside of an early stage startup
- You’re a problem solver with an eye for process-improvement
- You think the billable hour seems archaic
- You got into law to help people
- You care about adding value to a rapidly scaling organization
How We Define Success:
- Completion of excellent work product (e.g., memos, presentations, email summaries, trainings) that can be used by the Legal and Compliance teams during and after the fellowship
- Prompt and well-written responses to questions
- Development of professional and collegial relationships with Cityblock employees
- Development of a genuine interest in Cityblock’s mission and in solving health care challenges
Nice to have:
- A specific interest or background in health care or other social justice initiatives
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.