Support Engineer Intern (Data) at Foursquare
Foursquare is the leading independent location technology platform, powering business solutions and consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Over 1,000 clients—including more than 50% of the Fortune 100—choose Foursquare.
Foursquare’s toolkit includes Attribution, Audience and Proximity Targeting, Visits, Places and Pilgrim SDK. Together, these products empower brands to measure foot traffic lift via multi-touch attribution; deliver proximity-based advertising; analyze and identify trends; drive deeper engagement via Foursquare’s industry-leading developer tools, which have been selected by 200,000 developers including AccuWeather, Apple, Samsung, Microsof, Twitter and Uber; and optimize advertising campaigns across hundreds of audiences. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date.
Foursquare has more than 350+ employees based in New York headquarters with offices in Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago and Singapore. In 2019 Foursquare acquired Placed from Snap Inc., and then in 2020 merged with Factual. Foursquare is proud to be funded by The Raine Group, Simon Ventures, Naver, Union Square Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, DFJ Growth, Morgan Stanley Alternative Investment Partners and more.
About the Team
The Client Solutions & Support Engineering team is responsible for building and maintaining custom solutions for Foursquare Enterprise Clients and providing best in class technical support across all of our product offerings. We work directly with clients and partners providing technical guidance and making sure they are able to use Foursquare products and data effectively. We are a high-impact team of developers working on the bleeding edge of the full suite of Foursquare products and data working closely with our Sales Engineering, Customer Success and Product Management teams as well as with clients and partners.
About the role
As a Support Engineer Intern working on our Enterprise products you are instrumental to client success. You use your curiosity and persistence to troubleshoot issues related to Data, API and mobile integrations in a variety of tech stacks. You are able to learn and move across systems - some days working in Hive or Athena to pull data for an investigation and other days reviewing API behavior. You enjoy helping others solve problems. You use your strong organizational and communication skills to help clients use our products - providing technical documentation, guidance and recommendations as needed and working with our Technical Writer and Product Managers to create visibility on areas where additional product and documentation investments can improve Customer Experience.
Please note this would be a Mon to Fri - 40/hr week internship that is expected to last until the end of 2021.
Responsibilities of the role
- Act as the first technical point of contact to our Enterprise clients - troubleshooting and identifying workarounds to unblock clients and ensure they have a positive experience with our data and products, escalating to and working with Product and Engineering on fixes, as needed, and providing timely and regular updates through issue resolution internally and externally.
- Support onboarding of API, SDK and flat file products directly with our Enterprise clients, validating a successful integration and confirming completion of onboarding
- Build out technical and non-technical solutions to address friction points in support and onboarding - everything from integration and how-to guides to FAQs and Postman Collections - working closely with Customer Success, Technical Writers and other internal stakeholders.
- 3+ months of experience in Support Engineering, Product Support or similar client-facing technical roles
- Strong troubleshooting skills and an ability to work across multiple tech stacks
- Strong written and verbal communication skills - especially explaining technical concepts
- Familiarity with at least one programming language (Python, Swift and Java preferred)
- Basic proficiency with Shell scripting and command-line utilities
- Basic proficiency with SQL (we use Postgres and Hive) or NoSQL (Mongo)
- Well-versed in reading code, technical documentation, and stack traces
Nice to have:
- Experience with working across several teams (technical and non-technical) in a cross-functional role
- Experience with explaining technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders
- An understanding of Location/GIS industries and data
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.