Chief Accounting Officer at Harry's
About the Team
Harry’s vision is to build a next generation CPG company, investing in, building, and owning a portfolio of omnichannel modern brands across multiple categories, similar to how we’ve done with the Harry's brand. The company plans to leverage its platform and capabilities, and partner with exceptional entrepreneurs to launch a number of new disruptive brands in new categories in the coming years. We have teams located in NYC, London and Eisfeld (Germany). We are looking to find an exceptional leader for this talented crew and this is where you come in.
About the Role
As our Chief Accounting Officer, you will be a key leader on our Global Finance team. In addition to managing a global team of over 25 ambitious, smart and driven people, you’ll be responsible for the strategic direction of the controlling, reporting, audit and tax organizations. Specifically, you will be critical to developing the team with the right people, processes and technology helping us meet the expanding needs of the company, including driving towards an initial public offering. You will also actively participate in strategic transactions that we pursue. We are looking for a candidate that has seen all this before and knows what good looks like for us to constantly improve.
What you will accomplish:
- Together with the CFO and VP of Finance, you serve as a key member of the finance leadership team and drive cross functional initiatives to support the growth and success of the company. We will need to both collaborate together and divide and conquer to achieve all of our goals.
- Lead and continue to build out the Global Finance team.
- Manage each team to set goals, assign accountability and assess performance.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement
- Drive IPO readiness initiatives
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements.
- Lead thoughtful internal share outs of the financial results at the end of each month and present them to the executive leadership team.
- Review new accounting pronouncements with a view towards constantly improving our financial reporting.
- Assist in the preparation of the Board of directors materials.
- Preparation of ad hoc financial analysis to assist in data driven business decisions.
- Develop process and technology to support thoughtful corporate allocations and centralized service charges.
- Directs the evolution of FICO systems with regards to financial data, reporting and internal controls.
- Own the relationship and be primary liaison with the external auditors.
- Drive the quarterly reviews and annual audit cadence.
- Establish an internal audit function.
- Establish an audit committee of the Board of Directors.
- Manage the financial close process.
- Directs all aspects of accounting operations, overseeing all transactions related to the general ledger.
- Partnering with the CFO to determine accounting and tax implications for all material business decisions.
- Review financial statements and ensure they are accurate and free of any errors.
- Build out a comprehensive internal control environment.
- Analyze accounts and suggest improvements to reduce costs and increase profit.
- Assist in explaining month and ytd variance analysis.
- Build out an internal tax function supplementing our network of external resources.
- Address our global growth ambitions in a tax efficient manner.
- Assist in setting and overseeing our internal transfer pricing schemes.
- Manage tax compliance, audits and disputes.
This should describe you:
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting from an accredited four-year college. A masters degree is a bonus.
- 10+ years experience in a senior accounting position with knowledge of US GAAP and some familiarity with UK and German GAAP.
- Active CPA license in good standing.
- Auditing experience a top CPA firm
- You have been a public company Corporate Controller or CAO. Experience drafting and reviewing SEC documents. Ideally you have been through an IPO process in one of your prior roles.
- Excellent Leadership Skills: You own your responsibilities. You possess the qualities that inspire confidence and trust. You have the ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight time frames while simultaneously managing several projects.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills - you know how to communicate effectively to a wide variety of audiences.
- An Innovative, Strategic and Operational Mindset: You are always interested in and involved with operational issues and how they affect the Accounting function; you not only participate in developing strategies to support a growth plan but you also bring rational, objective judgment to bear on tough issues and decisions.
- Roll-Up-The-Sleeves Style: You enjoy an entrepreneurial atmosphere that requires you to pitch in to get the job done and to be comfortable in an environment with lean staffing.
- Comfort Level with Information Technology: You always use technology to improve access to information needed to run the business; you have deep knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems
- Solid Interpersonal Skills: Your culture sensitivity skills enable you to get along with people at all levels of the organization. You celebrate your teams’ success and you empathize with them during hard times..
Here's who you'll work with:
- Reporting to Chief Financial Officer
- Substantial exposure to the executive team at Harry’s
- Managing the global controllers, financial reporting and tax functions
- Working closely with cross-functional partners across the organization
Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harry’s expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target and Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, and launched a women’s brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, and logistics specialists, Harry’s team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, and humble people you’ll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion and innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, and backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values and our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement and learning, teamwork and collaboration, creative problem solving, and open and direct dialogue and feedback. Come for the coffee and free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together.
Harry’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. We recruit, hire and promote into all job levels the most qualified applicants without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), parental status, age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, marital, family or partnership status, political affiliation or activities, military service, domestic violence victim status, arrest/conviction record, sexual or reproductive health decisions, caregiver status, credit history immigration status, unemployment status, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hairstyles or any other status protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Harry’s commitment to providing equal employment opportunities extends to all aspects of employment, including job assignment, compensation, discipline and access to benefits and training.
We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.