Corporate Counsel - Government and Commercial at OwnBackup
Data loss can be devastating. Whether it’s caused by human error, bad code, rogue integrations, or malicious intent, all companies are at risk. OwnBackup is the #1 data backup, archiving, and sandbox seeding app on the Salesforce AppExchange. With over 3,000 customers, we are ranked #25 on Financial Times’ list of America’s fastest growing companies, and have raised $267.5 million in funding from Salesforce Ventures and others.
As Corporate Counsel - Government and Commercial, you will be the fourth lawyer at OwnBackup, the 25th fastest-growing company in the Americas. Reporting to the General Counsel, you will be the primary lawyer responsible for supporting our North and South America Government Sales team, while also supporting the Commercial Sales team and helping with vendor contracts. You will help design and implement policies and processes to build and scale the legal function of a fast-moving, successful cloud startup. This role will be based in our New Jersey office.Your Day-to-Day Role
- Act as primary lawyer for reviewing, drafting, and negotiating contracts with Federal, state and local government entities in the Americas for sales of OwnBackup cloud-based services
- Serve as global company expert on government contracts and related regulatory requirements
- Assist with private sector sales contracts as workload permits
- Assist with vendor contracts as workload permits
- Assist with government contract compliance
- Research and advise on legal and regulatory issues relevant to government contracts
- Licensed to practice law in the US
- Minimum 3 years of experience practicing law at a law firm and in-house at technology companies or handling technology-related issues
- Minimum of 2 years negotiating technology sales contracts with governments, including US Federal government
- Substantial experience drafting and negotiating enterprise SaaS / cloud agreements
- Solid understanding of government contracting standards and processes
- Business judgment and ability to assess legal risk while providing practical advice
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding work environment
- Desire to pitch in and help where needed in fast-growing startup
- Thoughtful and persuasive interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain strong working relationships
- Enthusiastic team member who enjoys taking ownership of projects, building relationships cross-functionally and working on cutting-edge legal issues
This is a full-time position. The ideal candidate will work out of our New Jersey office or the Washington D.C. Metro Area.
Here at OwnBackup, culture is as important as results, and a key part of our culture is our differences. As we scale to help all types of companies protect precious data, our team must reflect the diversity we serve. OwnBackup is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we believe that every employee in the company brings a unique perspective that they can and should contribute in order to make an impact every day. We strive to be one team, one culture, and one family that builds trust through transparency. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, protected veteran status or disability status. OwnBackup will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.A Bit About Us
Have a look at our market opportunity and read through the AppExchange reviews to get to know OwnBackup a little better. Founded in 2015, OwnBackup is backed by top-tier venture capital firms and Salesforce Ventures. The company has experienced 100% y/y growth, establishing early market dominance in a big addressable market. To put it in perspective OwnBackup has 2k customers and nearly all of Salesforce 150k customers are a potential fit to use our products. Given the company’s vision to be the leading Cloud Data Protection Platform, there are also plans to expand into other SaaS ecosystems in the company year.