Paxos was founded in 2012 as the first institutional and regulated crypto-exchange, our founding team quickly realized there was an opportunity to establish ourselves as the trusted leader in digital assets. By creating regulated digital assets like our USD-backed stablecoin PAX, we’re giving customers the chance to process their financial transactions in safer, faster and more cost-effective ways. We’re also building solutions for some of the world’s best-known financial institutions to settle day-to-day transactions faster, cheaper and with the most modern technology. We believe the global financial system has relied too long on closed infrastructure and outdated technologies - it's time for a change.
The Deputy General Counsel will report directly to the General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer and will manage our in-house legal team. This is a new position necessitated by Paxos's business growth. We’re moving into new and exciting areas, and we need you!
The Deputy General Counsel will oversee the day-to-day functioning of the legal team and will also work closely with the compliance team. This role will engage proactively with the rest of the company, including the Operations, Product, Engineering, and Finance teams to advance the company’s mission.
What you will do:
- Drive legal support for business priorities including development of new asset mobilization technologies and partnerships with both legacy financial institutions and fintechs
- Design, implement, and maintain processes for reviewing, drafting, negotiating, executing, and tracking ongoing compliance with commercial agreements, on both the buy side and sell side
- Maintain responsibility for corporate governance, including the entity structure, capital structure, and compliance with all associated obligations
- Participate in product and cross-functional initiative development throughout the life cycle of these initiatives
- Engage proactively with state and federal financial regulators to educate them about our business and preview forthcoming initiatives and product launches
- Liaise with outside counsel to improve efficient communications and maximize value
- Engage with industry participants and other external stakeholders to keep Paxos on the cutting edge of our industry
- Keep up with legal trends in blockchain and digital assets to better inform legal advice given to the company
What you need to have:
- A law degree
- A proactive attitude and ability to work cross-functionally within the company
- An ability to engage constructively with external stakeholders
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent writing skills
- An ability to think through complex concepts and tackle them in an organized and efficient manner
Other than these qualifications, we're hoping to bring someone on board who loves what they do and can't wait to join an amazing team.
In your cover letter, please highlight any regulatory experience, transactional/contract drafting experience, law firm experience, financial industry experience, blockchain/digital assets experience, and tech/startup experience. These are not prerequisites!
Who we are: We are a diverse group of individuals with backgrounds and experience in banking, startups, tech giants, and big-five consulting firms. We currently have about 110 employees across offices in New York, London and Singapore and have big plans for our growth. We’re looking for collaborative, creative, hard-working and intellectually curious people to help us make our vision a reality.
Why we matter: Paxos is the only technology company building financial services solutions that both customers and regulators can trust. We’re committed to pushing the boundaries of technology while also working with important stakeholder groups so we can build a financial system that is open and accessible to anyone around the world.
Who are our customers: Our customers run the gamut from individuals seeking access to digital assets and those who don’t want to be tied to a physical banking system, to large institutions seeking to improve their settlement infrastructure. Some of our clients today include big names like Credit Suisse, Societe Generale, Macquaire, INTL FCStone and Virtu.
How we work: Paxos is driven by our four values. We believe that every Paxos employee is an owner, and employees consistently search for the truth in their work. We also believe in real-time candor and a shared commitment to excellence. These values are ingrained in everything we do and influence how we communicate and collaborate as an organization.
Why we are a great place to work: Paxos has been consistently named a Best Place to Work by BuiltIn. We offer all of the usual startup stuff like healthy snacks, coffee, and ping pong but we also offer generous healthcare coverage, PTO, and family leave. (We want employees to care for themselves both in and out of office.) In addition to the benefits and perks, Paxos offers employees the chance to have a real and measurable impact on a growing business: what you do today directly influences the Company goals. As a result, we enable every employee to substantially grow their careers.
Learn more about us:
- The Paxos Blog
- Paxos Raises $65MM Series B
- Podcast with Paxos Founder
- Paxos Blog: Building the Future of Finance
- Paxos Founder on CNBC’s Mad Money
- Paxos in the WSJ