Shapeways has set out to redefine product creation. It is a platform that enables the full creator experience through design, making, and selling--born out of its consumer 3D printing service, the largest in the world. Shapeways has over 1 million creators and has printed over 10 million products. The company supports creators with design tools and services, access to advanced production technology starting with 3D printing, and services to build a business. Printing in over 60 different materials and finishes, Shapeways has factories and offices in New York, the Netherlands, and partners around the globe. It is a spin-out of the lifestyle incubator of Royal Philips Electronics, and investors include Lux Capital, Union Square Ventures, INKEF Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, Index Ventures, Hewlett Packard Ventures, and Presidio Ventures.
Why is the Legal Counsel important to us?
The Legal Counsel oversees Shapeways’ day-to-day legal operations and supports all aspects of the Shapeways team.
The Legal Counsel is responsible for managing agreements and contracts with users, designers, strategic partners, and OEM vendors. The Legal Counsel drafts and maintains all terms and policies that govern the use of Shapeways. In addition, the Legal Counsel manages operational and compliance programs related to intellectual property, privacy, trust and safety, environmental/health regulation, and international regulations of 3D printed objects.
The Legal Counsel provides advice and guidance to a wide range of stakeholders within Shapeways and is able to present information in a format that is most useful to specific stakeholders. The Legal Counsel must also research international law and novel legal challenges that emerge as a result of Shapeways’ innovative business model. Reporting directly to the CFO.
As the Legal Counsel you will:
- Provide legal advice on a wide range of issues related to Shapeways’ business including contracts, user-facing terms, intellectual property matters, traditional and digital marketing, data protection, privacy, environmental and health regulation, labor, and international import/export law
- Oversee, maintain, and develop internal systems to manage user uploads and orders
- Develop or update, as applicable, Shapeways’ agreements including terms of service policies, NDAs, licensing, vendor and service agreements, contest rules, and contract templates
- Work with the product team to identify and consider risks related to new features and offerings
- Oversee the implementation, review, and timely completion of company policies and procedures to ensure legal and regulatory compliance and best practices with applicable laws, including GDPR
- Collaborate with senior management and specialized outside legal counsel to assess and mitigate legal risks
- Draft the Shapeways Transparency Report
- Manage and prioritize competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment
You might be a good fit if you (have/ are):
- JD degree from ABA-accredited law school with NY Bar or ability to practice under 22 NYCRR 522
- 3+ years combined relevant experience in a law firm or in-house, with a background in transactional/corporate work (additional background in IP, manufacturing, import/export, and/or privacy is a plus)
- Strong communication (both written and verbal) and project management skills with a strict attention to detail
- Ability to take abstract or ambiguous requests and turn them into concrete recommendations
- Willingness and ability to work out of Shapeways’ Manhattan offices
- Familiarity with 3D printing is a plus
Why join our team?
Shapeways is breaking new ground in the field of 3D printing. With our website and marketplace for designers, our goal is to give everyone access to the revolution of additive manufacturing. This isn’t your typical web business – we have a physical product at the back end. If you’d like to work in a dynamic, collaborative, respectful environment where colleagues share ideas and encourage each other to think creatively, Shapeways is just what you’re looking for.
Benefits and perks include:
- Comprehensive Health Package - We offer a great medical plan option that provides coverage to the employee for free
- 401(k) with Safe Harbor matching - Join the team and we will invest in your future
- Parental Leave - Generous Paid time off for new parents
- Ample Paid Time Off - PTO plus sick days. Whether it’s traveling the world, taking a mental health day, or going to the dentist... because Life
- Great Snacks and Free Lunch - Fully stocked fridge, and fancy coffee. Also, daily catered lunch at our Long Island City and weekly catered lunch in our Manhattan office
- Credit towards 3D Printing - Every employee receives $100 of Shapeways credit each quarter to make or buy