Senior Technology Counsel
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about solving the legal challenges for a fast-growing company in the technology sector.
We are looking for an exceptional lawyer with a strong background and experience in software, infrastructure or related technology businesses. The Senior Technology Counsel will have responsibility for providing advice and assistance across a wide variety of critical legal and business matters both in the U.S. and abroad.
This is a unique opportunity to become an integral member of a small but growing legal team.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Negotiating and drafting technology-related licensing, services and other commercial agreements.
- Working closely with relevant business units on the legal aspects of product development, marketing programs and technology initiatives.
- Advising on the implementation and enforcement of the company’s data privacy, security and legal/regulatory policies and protections.
- Partnering closely with our trust and safety team on responding to litigation, law enforcement, IP and other compliance matters.
- Advising on domestic and international strategic partnerships and M&A.
- Managing the company’s IP portfolio and advising on the company’s IP strategies.
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- J.D. from a nationally-accredited law school and license to state bar.
- 5-7 years of experience working on technology transactions and IP-related matters. In-house experience (particularly IaaS or SaaS) strongly preferred, and deep knowledge of legal issues relating to open source technology, data privacy and security required.
- Excellent analytical skills and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work collaboratively across all levels of a fast-growing international organization.
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.