Audience Development Manager at theSkimm
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm marketing team is a group of fast-moving, data-driven, and creative thinkers who nurture and grow theSkimm brand and community while driving membership and engagement across all platforms. The Audience Development Manager role will be leveraging both paid and unpaid partner relationships to grow newsletter subscribers, podcast listeners, and web visitors.
The Audience Development Manager will report to the Vice President, Growth Marketing. We’re looking for a savvy audience development professional who is adept at discovering and leveraging creative audience acquisition opportunities at scale. You will be responsible for establishing and growing content partnerships and other related tactics to drive a relevant, high-value, and diverse audience to theSkimm platforms. The ideal candidate is a self-starter and an innovative problem-solver who is excited about by the opportunity to spearhead a critical and highly collaborative function at theSkimm.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Proactively identify, establish, and execute relationships with content/traffic exchange partners -- creating recurrent collaborations that drive audience acquisition - inclusive of (but not limited to): affiliates, barters, and swaps with publishers, distribution platforms, and content creators.
- Focus on leveraging ongoing content relationships that drive diverse new audiences to theSkimm properties.
- Manage and grow audience to our audio products, including but not limited to: leveraging audio distribution partners for native promotional opportunities, identifying and coordinating with new distribution partners, assisting with programming coordination with audio producers as needed to support partners.
- Work closely with content teams to craft and optimize pitches and outreach strategies.
- Strong test and learn orientation, able and willing to test quickly into new ideas, measure success, and pivot as needed to sustain growth momentum.
- Proactively research prospective platform partners across web, email, social and audio properties -- inclusive of competitive research and analysis.
- Create and own CRM/contact management processes, taking into account the full view of partner outreach and management.
- Track ROI for all campaigns and initiatives using analytical platforms such as Google Analytics and suggesting additional measurement tools as needed.
- Work and collaborate closely with VP of Business Development and Director of Brand, Partnerships & Events to ensure strategic alignment --inclusive of (but not limited to) facilitating handovers and transitions of Brand campaign partners to ongoing partner relationships and ongoing content partners to larger Brand initiatives.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- 3+ years of full-time experience in audience development, content partnerships, and/or affiliate marketing in digital media/publishing or in support of content/distribution platforms.
- Strong client/ external partner management experience with exceptional presentation skills - solid negotiation skills.
- Ability to collaborate and work cross-functionally, specifically with editorial, brand, growth, and other partnership colleagues.
- Experience working closely with content teams.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to identify trends and provide action-oriented insights.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with the ability to explain and translate concepts into intuitive and friendly communications.
- Experience with podcast audience growth a plus.
- Experience working with or for media platforms that serve diverse audiences a huge plus.
- Passion for theSkimm's brand and products.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.