Brand Strategy Contractor, Harry’s Ventures (Temporary Role)
About the Role
Harry’s is looking for a Temporary Brand Strategist to cover a parental leave on the Harry’s Ventures team. We are specifically looking for someone to work full-time through the end of 2019 (approximately 4-5 months).
As the Brand Strategist, you will work collaboratively with the Ventures team as we seek to identify, evaluate and invest in 2-3 highly disruptive CPG brands each year with exciting consumer, market and product opportunities. We need a passionate brand strategist to ensure the brands we build or buy are positioned to be distinct, ownable and meaningful to consumers.
The specific mandate of the Brand Strategist will vary by brand and investment opportunity, as some ideas and businesses are sourced externally while some are built from the ground up within Harry’s. You will work collaboratively with the VP, Ventures to recommend a cross functional brand development plan that typically includes milestones such as: insights gathering (brand, consumer, culture), brand territory exploration, and brand concept testing. He/she will take ownership over developing and/or distilling these insights and sharing recommendations that shape Venture team hypothesis around a category, consumer and/or brand opportunity, culminating in the development of potential brand territories. He/she will work collaboratively with the Ventures team to ensure that his/her work integrates in real time with Ventures investment diligence findings, and that key brand development needs, learnings and recommendations are seamlessly integrated into broader investment evaluation and brand development. Once an opportunity has been approved for investment, he/she will own the brand positioning and create the “brand brief” that will serve as the foundational narrative of what the brand is, who it’s for, why it exists and what it will take to bring it to life. The brief will also include initial brand development tools (e.g., the brand ladder and personality guardrails).
We want an experienced brand strategist in this role who is excited about building innovative, consumer-centric brands that will disrupt large categories within consumer packaged goods. We need someone who’s excited to work across multiple market segments and can creatively determine how to best answer nuanced questions about brand opportunities and ideas. We need someone who can also think highly strategically, look around corners, make sound decisions and provide clear and compelling, insight-driven brand recommendations to our Ventures team despite imperfect information. We also want someone who can go from the creative “big idea” world of territories to the highly tactical details of testing and building a brand and who will roll up his/her sleeves to just get stuff done. And, most of all we want a great collaborator who can work effectively with a diverse group of stakeholders, synthesize a variety of information, and drive to clear and thoughtful investment recommendations that maximize the likelihood of success of the Ventures team and our new brands.
Beyond the opportunity to work with great people, this role provides a unique opportunity to be part of a team that will drive the discovery and launch phases of new brands. You will work alongside experienced entrepreneurs and executives during initial stages of founding innovative new CPG brands powered by the experience and resources of Harry’s Inc.
What you will accomplish:
- Work in partnership with the VP, Harry’s Ventures to develop and position insight-led, highly innovative brands, leveraging the team’s and your own diligence and taking a bespoke approach to each opportunity
- Serve as brand expert on the Ventures team and Harry’s leadership as we assess investment opportunities and build new brands/businesses, ensuring our value propositions are distinct, ownable and always improve the consumer experience and journey in the category
- Support investment evaluation efforts by effectively translating brand-related insights into actionable business recommendations, including Product/R&D roadmaps
- Own the development of new brand positioning and product/pricing decisions with insights that drive consumer-centric competitive advantage via efficacy, convenience, value, and/or accessibility
- Selectively engage with Harry’s Ventures team to define brand optimization and/or repositioning needs in later stage opportunities
This should describe you:
- A Bachelor’s degree; graduate degree is a plus
- 5-10 years of brand strategy experience including experience working on consumer/CPG brands or within a consumer/CPG company. Thrives with brand positioning, but experience leading brand strategy to drive innovation a plus
- Experienced brand strategy leader with broad and deep knowledge across the brand positioning and development toolkit including qualitative research techniques, actionable insight synthesis, brand territory development and testing, and brand brief/narrative development
- Always focused on driving insights into business recommendations across brand positioning and creative, product merchandising and innovation, marketing channels and execution
- Skilled brand storyteller – You are comfortable weaving together disparate sources of information into a holistic story with strong recommendations based on market trends and consumer facts
- Creatively strategic - You bring a unique way of uncovering opportunities and confidently communicate your creative ideas, but are always grounded in insight and truth
- Unwaveringly objective – You represent the voice of the consumer in all situations, especially when learning is counter to initial hypotheses or prior learning
- You geek out on the idea of uncovering hard to decipher insights that unlock new business and product opportunities that will surprise and delight consumers
- Lifelong Learner: Loves to learn, asks insightful questions, passionate about learning about new categories and new businesses in the CPG space
- Team Oriented: You are highly collaborative and able to quickly establish credibility within the team to impact decisions through both formal and informal influence
- Problem-Solver: Is sought to help break down problems and brainstorm solutions for the trickiest ones.
- Resilient: Almost always displays resilience and unwavering focus, regardless of any hiccups, roadblocks or failures they might encounter
- Innovative & Scrappy: Pushes themselves and others to take risks and try new things, when appropriate, that could surprise and delight our team or customers. Ability to be scrappy and creative with resources to maximize business impact.
Here's who you'll work with:
- Reporting to the VP, Harry’s Ventures
- On-boarded by current Brand Strategy lead (for approximately 2 months)
- You will work on the Harry’s Ventures team, a small team dedicated to identifying and launching leading next generation CPG brands
Harry’s Inc. started in 2013 with simple, fairly priced products that delivered an amazing experience to guys every day. Since then, Harry’s expanded to the UK, developed relationships with retailers such as Target and Walmart, expanded our grooming brand into a personal care powerhouse, and launched a women’s brand called Flamingo.
The key to our success? Our amazing people. From chemists, mechanical engineers, CX associates, to creative directors, sourcing managers, and logistics specialists, Harry’s team is comprised of some of the most brilliant, diverse, and humble people you’ll ever meet.
Our brands answer unmet consumer needs, but our company is a place of inclusion and innovation that attracts some of the brightest minds across industries, geographies, and backgrounds. Whether we have a team of 3 or 300, our core values and our startup mentality remain; we value continuous improvement and learning, teamwork and collaboration, creative problem solving, and open and direct dialogue and feedback. Come for the coffee and free products, stay for the amazing, passionate culture.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.