Director of Community & Social Media at theSkimm
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members’ existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information and tools they need to make empowered choices across news, civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of women across the country. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM
theSkimm Marketing Team is a small group of fast-moving, data-driven and creative thinkers who nurture and bring theSkimm’s voice and brand to life across multiple touchpoints in our members’ daily lives; creating narratives for multiple verticals, while driving growth and increasing engagement.
As the Director of Community and Social Media, you will be responsible for leading, growing, rallying, engaging and empowering theSkimm Community -- the heart of the brand -- in person, across platforms, where they are and where they want to be. Our community has done some pretty amazing things, from increasing voter turnout with our “No Excuses” campaigns to Skimm’ng together and giving back. In 2020, we’re gearing up to continue making an impact for millenial women and enabling them to live their smartest lives. We need a partner who will create moments and initiatives driven by shared intent, while connecting the dots between our dedicated member communities and social media. The Director will also work across the organization to elevate theSkimm brand, increase membership and drive user engagement across platforms, closed groups and IRL.
The Director will manage community engagement specialists and collaborate closely with social media producers. They will work in tandem daily with theSkimm’s Marketing, Communications, Events, Editorial, Video, Design, Sales, Data and Partnerships teams in a manner that is trusting, collaborative, organized, creative and determined on behalf of your team, and the communities we serve. The Director will report to the Vice President, Brand Marketing.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Lead and serve as the internal HQ advocate and strategic partner for the Community and Social Media teams; establishing priorities and enabling individual focus such that these two teams maintain high visibility and strong connection with the company at large
- Manage and support the continued growth of the Senior Community Manager and Community Coordinator, in addition to closely collaborate with two Associate Social Media Producers, who together as one team, deliver the brand’s voice to core audiences
- Develop an integrated communications strategy that drives alignment across our entire brand community—closed groups and all social platforms—working in partnership with all key departments across the company to create, deliver, measure and optimize efforts
- Strengthen the team’s community evolution strategy, ensuring its continued success in lockstep with theSkimm’s growth, while collaborating closely with Events and Marketing teams to solicit member participation and ideate ways to activate them digitally and IRL
- Support and collaborate to optimize the overall content and social strategy through the lens of our audience and broader community, ensuring alignment across tentpole campaigns, key initiatives and partnerships.
- Integrate with growth marketing campaigns across ‘always-on’ and more targeted social media for timely editorial moments and theSkimm’s core product offerings throughout the year.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- 8+ years of social media, community management and team leadership experience
- A strong understanding of theSkimm’s brand and voice and ability to communicate its message with consistency
- Experience leading strategy and execution for a news & information, consumer, and/or emerging brand
- Experience driving audience development, and recognizing the distinction between a marketing voice and community voice, especially within closed mission-driven groups
- Proven track record of using social media content and/or community conversation to increase audience engagement, build brand equity, and ultimately drive revenue
- Superior journalistic judgement, research, and fact-checking expertise
- Experience executing on branded content
- You are a strong manager who can uphold an environment of learning, growth, and mentorship within a growing team
- You subscribe to a player/coach mentality
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Art direction experience in graphic design, illustration, videography, and/or photography
- Experience managing closed Facebook communities, deep knowledge of Instagram, LinkedIn Twitter, as well as experience with CMS platforms such as Dash Hudson
- Knowledge of industry trends and emerging platforms
- Strong knowledge of SEO best practice
- Passion for news and current events
- You are a Skimm’bassador, or have a long history with theSkimm as a consumer