Director of Social Media
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM
theSkimm’s social media team is made up of scrappy, creative thinkers who are dedicated to expanding our brand presence and engaging with our member base across social media platforms. As the Director of Social Media you will be responsible for bringing theSkimm’s voice and brand to life across multiple touchpoints in our members’ daily lives, creating narratives for multiple verticals. Reporting to our VP of Content, this role is creative meets data. You will be responsible for developing social media content that fosters a deep sense of community and grows both brand engagement and revenue. You will manage a small team of associate social media producers and will collaborate closely with theSkimm’s Video, Editorial, Design, Sales, and Marketing teams.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Lead and optimize overall social media strategy for official brand accounts
- Direct the creative and editorial operations of all organic and sponsored social media content
- Analyze performance data and innovate and iterate to achieve optimal performance
- Review and approve all social media posts, ensuring alignment with voice, brand, and content tentpoles
- Direct both ‘always on’ and targeted social media marketing campaigns for timely editorial moments and theSkimm’s product offerings
- Administer all third-party and internal social media tools and content management systems
- Manage two Associate Social Media Producers
WHAT WOULD SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- 6-8 years of social media experience
- A strong understanding of theSkimm’s brand and voice and ability to communicate its message with consistency
- Experience leading strategy and execution for a news & information, consumer, and/or emerging brand
- Proven track record of using social media content to increase audience engagement, build brand equity, and drive revenue
- Superior journalistic judgement, research, and fact-checking expertise
- Experience executing on branded content
- You are a strong manager who can uphold an environment of learning, growth, and mentorship within a growing team
- You subscribe to a player/coach mentality and can think big picture while still getting your hands dirty
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Art direction experience in graphic design, illustration, videography, and/or photography
- Pre-sale experience in branded content
- Strong knowledge of SEO best practice
- Passion for news and current events
- You are a Skimm’bassador, or have a long history with theSkimm as a consumer
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages alongside annual performance reviews aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- One Medical Membership
- Subsidized family planning and fertility benefits through Carrot Fertility
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered meals and drinks during our weekly "Sip’n Skimm" all-hands meeting and monthly "Skimm'e A Drink!" happy hour
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY