We are looking for an Abstraction Specialist who is passionate about the potential for real-world evidence (RWE) to accelerate progress against cancer. Here's what you need to know about the role, our team and why Flatiron Health is the right next step in your career.
Who We Are
Flatiron Health is a leading healthcare technology company with a mission to learn from the experience of every cancer patient. We are an independent subsidiary of the largest oncology drug developer, the Roche Group. Our 1,000 employees represent a diverse group of leaders from across industries, including oncologists and nurses, data scientists, engineers, researchers and many more.
Flatiron Health was founded in the United States but is working to expand its mission globally and we have established our Flatiron Health GmbH in Germany in 2020. Within the overall company, Flatiron Health GmbH is a small, dynamic and growing team focused on transforming the use of real-world data and improving outcomes of German cancer patients.
What You'll Do
In this role, you will be responsible for working with our clinical team to develop our approach to abstraction. Abstraction involves extracting complex unstructured clinical data from electronic medical records using our proprietary software, ensuring high quality data that benefit cancer patients. You will also be involved in responsible hiring and managing a team of data abstractors. In addition you will:
- Assist with the development of data capture forms, instructions and data analyses across multiple oncology therapeutic areas and tumor types
- Support data quality and control activities, including clarifying guidance, correcting errors and refining instructions
- Help with feasibility and initial testing of novel data points or new abstraction approaches
- Perform patient-level quality assurance on dataset deliverables
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team including technical (e.g., software engineers), business, data privacy experts, quantitative scientists, and other clinical professionals
- Help build a German-based team and company culture as we grow
Who You Are
You have experience in the oncology/hematology care setting. You're excited by the prospect of rolling up your sleeves to tackle meaningful problems each and every day. You’re a kind, passionate and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives candid feedback, and values the chance to make an important impact.
- You are a Medizinischer Dokumentar, Tumordokumentar, medizinischer Fachangestellter, oder Gesundheits- und Krankenpfleger oder Study Nurse (m/wd) with significant hands-on experience working in oncology
- You are familiar with all aspects of how cancer is managed and the treatment pathways, from diagnosis to remission, and fluent in cancer terminology
- You have experience with how clinical data is represented across Germany (e.g., understanding of ICD codes, cancer registry data)
- You have experience with data entry, highly comfortable with technology
- You have familiarity with electronic health record systems, electronic data capture forms or other data management systems
- You have strong communication skills, including the ability to communicate clinical issues effectively with a diverse team of software engineers, product managers, and other technical staff
- You demonstrate exceptional attention to detail
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and flexible with ambiguity.
- You are fluent in German and conversational in English
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, product teams, clinicians, technologists and many more all work together to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
At Flatiron, we strive to build and maintain an environment where employees from all backgrounds are valued, respected and have the opportunity to succeed. You'll also find a culture of continuous learning and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work and everywhere in between.
Flatiron is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination on the grounds of race or ethnic origin, gender, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation.