Manager, Customer Support at DigitalOcean
We are looking for a passionate Manager to lead our 1st shift, 8am-5pm EST, team remotely. As a Technical Support Manager – you will have the responsibility for managing a highly skilled team supporting all of DO’s products. You will work closely with the Senior Management, Engineering, Product, Sales, and Product Marketing teams to ensure that DO is delivering overall superior service to its customers. Reporting to the Director of Developer Support, this person will have strong opinions about the direction and performance of the team, demonstrate a deep understanding of DO (customers, policies, and procedures), desire to help others reach their full potential, and feel responsible for the efforts of their team. They will learn to invest their skills, energy, and focus on developing and maintaining a shift that is founded on authenticity, love, transparency, efficiency, accountability, collaboration, empowerment, and fun!What You’ll Be Doing:
- Discuss trends, issues, and strategy with leadership, and implement resultant changes on the shift
- Place the customer experience at the forefront of their work
- Support Incident Management efforts, including internal and external communications, Executive summaries, issue verification, cross-functional collaborations
- Manage & triage the queue to reduce wait times & optimize customer experience
- Schedule appropriate coverage for support duties and alert leadership to conflicts and gaps
- Coaching & Development for all the IC’s reporting; scheduling 1:1’s, providing feedback/ QA, discussing Individual Development Plans (IDP’s) and training and assessment needs
- Assisting the recruiting team in new hires and backfills for the Support Team; conducting Debriefs, Interview Kits, Job Descriptions and new Hire Onboarding (ACS/SF JIRA)
- Monitoring and approving PTO’s and expenses for their direct reports
- Act as first-point-of-contact for escalations to leadership
- Ensure escalations on shift are routed, prioritized, alerted, and resolved properly
- Provide weekly feedback to direct reports on productivity & QA
- Understand the obstacles, setbacks, triumphs, & motivations of shift members
- Own handoffs between shifts on both an individual & leadership level
- Advocate for the perspective of direct reports on their shift to leadership
- Advocate for the perspective of leadership to their direct reports
- Working knowledge in:
- Linux, Debian, Ubuntu, Django etc
- Networking and Storage
- Programming/Scripting: Ruby, Python, Go, Bash
- Virtualization: KVM, Xen
- Working knowledge of cloud compliance regulations, basic security practices
- Working knowledge of DevOps: CoreOS, Docker/Containers, Ansible, Terraform, Kubernetes, a plus
- Ability to motivate shift members to reach their potential
- Attention to detail in relation to what happens during the shift
- Ability to find the answer, even if you don’t know it (JIRA, escalation, outreach to other teams, etc)
- Ability to accomplish the tasks that are asked of direct reports on the shift
- Effective delegation of tasks, roles, and project work
- Ability to de-escalated complex and difficult escalations
- A reputation for holding shift members to a high-performance standard
- Solid analytical skills & the ability to work with metrics, numbers, & trends
- Ability to build relationships with a wide range of stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to transition between hands-on & tactical to complex & strategic work with ease
- Ability to corral a conversation with multiple voices into a productive & brief discussion without leaving anyone feeling marginalized
- Problem-solving skills that can unite people in a genuine & authentic way to work together & drive solutions & successful outcomes
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC and Cambridge, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Customer Support #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Customer Support team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!