Manager, Employee Relations at Better
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Better.com is growing, and we’re looking for a Manager, Employee Relations to join our People team. If you’re looking to make an impact alongside a collaborative team that’s redefining the homeownership industry, check us out.
What you’ll do as a Manager, Employee Relations:
● Lead critical investigations from start to finish relating to harassment, bullying, retaliation, discrimination, hostile work environment and other potential violations of Company policies — in partnership with HR Business Partners and Employment Legal
● Proposing remedial action based on investigation findings
● Provide investigation and consultation support to managers addressing team member conduct and performance issues alongside the HR Business Partner.
● Serve as the first point of contact for HR Business Partners on employee relations questions and concerns
● Establish standard methodologies and frameworks for investigations
● Analyze data, trends, and opportunities from various internal systems for proactive mitigation
● Guarantee adherence with local, state, and federal employment laws and regulations
● Facilitate the implementation of legal procedures, partner closely with internal and external Employment counsel to protect rights of employees and liabilities of the business
● Integrate and partner with HR colleagues in the HR Business Partner, Legal, and Learning & Development teams to implement solutions, design and facilitate ER trainings and help scale the business
What the ideal candidate looks like:
We are looking for a hardworking, driven and inventive Senior Manager, Employee Relations to support our rapidly growing organization. Partnering closely with the broader people team and business client groups, this individual will advise and conduct investigations and support a variety of employee relations issues, including advising HR and managers on Better’s policies, practices, how to address workplace issues, organizational development, reorgs, performance management and compensation.
● Experienced Human Resources Professional with emphasis on employee relations, employment law, and time as an HR Business Partner (6+ years)
● Prior experience partnering with employment legal counsel is required
● Knowledge of local, federal, and state employment laws and regulations
● Knowledge of the principles and practices of HR management
● Comfortable with navigating uncertainty
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● High personal integrity and ability to exhibit a high level of confidentiality
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.