Operations Director at Motivate LLC
Are you a creative, data driven and engaging operations leader? Motivate is seeking a Director of Operations to change the future of ride sharing in NY by leading the bicycle repairs department for the Citi Bike program.
Motivate is a best-in-class service operations and logistics company, delivering bike share services to some of the largest urban environments in the US. We operate in 8 markets across the U.S. including New York, San Francisco, Chicago and Washington D.C. and will serve over 1.5 million customers this year alone. Led by a group of seasoned operations experts, our mission is to revolutionize the landscape of our cities. In an effort to completely transform the urban experience, Motivate is leading the way in making cities more accessible, healthier and sustainable. We operate and maintain safe and dependable systems that help make cities great by connecting individuals to the people and places they love.
We’re offering an opportunity to work with the most passionate, creative and proven team in this emerging, dynamic industry that is transforming cities around the globe.
- You are the unique blend of seasoned operator and a natural people leader with 5-7 years of Operational Leadership managing a diverse group of functions and departments.
- You thrive in a high-pressure, high-visibility, start-up environment.
- You are data-driven, and have experience interpreting and manipulating raw data with tools such as Domo and Excel. Able to turn analysis into action by designing solutions based on best practices, adapted for unique operating environments.
- You are an excellent communicator, both written and verbal, and comfortable communicating with C-Suite leaders as well as hourly union employees.
- You have experience owning a P&L including developing an operating plan and working through Budget Variance Analysis.
- You are an organized thinker, with the ability to self-direct and to adapt to changing deadlines.
About the Role
Motivate LLC’s Managers are a unique balance between Best in Class Operators and World Class Coaches that understand achieving our operational goals are not possible without our most valuable resource, our people.
The Director of Bike Fleet Operations will directly support the General Manager in overseeing all aspects of assembly, maintenance, and repair of the largest bike share fleet in North America. The Bike Fleet Operations Director will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of bike shops located throughout City and work with his/her peers to ensure the success of the system.
This position is based out of Pier 40 on the west side highway in Manhattan but will require regular presence at multiple maintenance facilities around NYC.
- Takes full ownership of all aspects of the system’s bike fleet operations, including P&L responsibility for both the depot and field teams, to deliver against client Service Level Agreements
- Able to design and implement new processes and build new teams to support new product offerings such as pedal assist bikes and dockless bikes
- Drive continuous improvement through structured, solution-oriented problem solving with the support of your team, other department heads and cross functional business partners.
- Collaborate with operational leaders in other NY departments and our clients to incorporate and further develop standard methodologies.
- Develop and run a yearly operational budget, including monthly reporting on profit and loss
- Set the tone for your team by role modeling honest communication, integrity and a get it done attitude
- Build a team of top talent through internal talent cultivation and discerning hiring practices.
- Establish clear expectations and goals for your organization and hold your people accountable to the standards you set.
- Facilitate the growth of your department heads through coaching areas of opportunity and developing areas of strengths
- Establish positive two-way communication with field staff, sourcing feedback and fresh ideas from staff and sharing initiative plans and objectives with the field operations team
- Educational Experience: Bachelors degree or equivalent professional experience
- Leadership Experience: Prior leadership of 200+ person organization with mid -level management direct reports
- Professional Experience: Prior experience with client facing service operations
- Strong track record of process/operations field leadership and experience running complex operations of varied workflows and disciplines
- Advanced degree in business, design, operations, engineering, or related field
- Working knowledge of lean six sigma operations
- Supply chain experience
- Technical and mechanical aptitude and innovation
- Comfort using data management software such as Domo
- Experience with warehouse operations
- Real passion for bikes, efficiency and sustainability
Motivate is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered for positions and are evaluated without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy or any other legally protected status under applicable law. We also provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Americans With Disabilities Act and applicable state and local law, as well as individuals who need an accommodation because of pregnancy. If you require assistance or a reasonable accommodation during any aspect of the application process, please contact [the Human Resources Department or the hiring manager].