Strategy & Operations at Better
Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
A Better Opportunity:
The Strategy & Operations team at Better is responsible for defining, planning and executing our strategy for sales growth and exceptional customer experience. We work on planning and delivering the C-suite’s strategy for Better’s core business. In this role, you will partner closely with senior leadership to own the strategy and execution of high-level initiatives to support growth, develop new business models, drive operational improvements, advise on new product development, and optimize the customer experience. This role sits at the center of highly cross functional strategic initiatives coordinating execution from Product, Marketing, Sales, CX, Data and Analytics, Reporting and Incentives. It provides deep exposure to all functions of the business, significant growth potential, and high leadership visibility.
The team is led by ex-top-tier consultants who are looking for data-driven, strategic, and results-oriented individuals who can conceptualize, design and execute projects end-to-end from day one. This is a great entry point into the tech/prop-tech world for a high-performing generalist looking to continue to work on a diverse set of fast-paced and impactful problems in a high-growth and high-standard environment. The team moves quickly and has a rapid pilot, test, and scale mindset seeing strategy through to business results.
The ideal candidate must have strong project management, writing and PowerPoint skills, high proficiency in modeling and working with data, solid critical thinking, and communication skills, and be self-starting and adaptable. Experience at a fast paced consulting, financial, or technology firm is preferred.
- Identify opportunities to drive new business, increase conversion, improve operations across sales and customer experience
- Lead the strategy, design, and execution of pilot programs and initiatives to test above opportunities partnering closely with other business units including Product, Data and Analytics, Customer Experience, Operations
- Analyze results and readout to senior leadership (C-Suite and business units) on path forward to scale and handover to operational teams
- Identify best-practices which can be systematized and scaled across the business, including the development of additional sales programs, new capabilities, product enhancements
- Leverage data and run analytics to uncover actionable insights that inform business decisions (e.g., root causes for trends, nuances for how we should serve customers at different stages in our process)
- Perform high-quality quant- and qualitative analytics for long range planning and other major initiatives
- This role is designated as ‘Flex Mode,’ and is not a fully remote position. The number of days in office will vary based on role requirements. As such, employees must be located within commuting distance of the office and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
Job Req ID: 921
- 2-5+ years of management consulting or internal Strategy and Ops experience
- Top-notch stakeholder management, leadership skills, relationship building, and communications skills
- Able to effectively manage up and down from C-Suite to front line individual contributors
- Strong writing, financial/quantitative, critical thinking, and problem solving
- Ability to prepare and speak to meeting materials with limited direction and oversight
- Entrepreneurial mindset and desire to help grow a business, improve the customer experience, and launch new products in a fast-paced environment
- Strong bias-to-action, practicality and effectiveness
- Highly adaptable, with the ability to thrive in ambiguous environments that at times lack direction and/or frequently change
- Desire to work on a high-drive impactful team with direct leadership exposure
- Title commiserate with experience
- Experience in data analysis via SQL/Tableau/Looker
- Management consulting experience at a top-tier firm or experience in a fast paced financial or technology firm or startup
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.