Director, Product Data and Analytics at Cockroach Labs
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!About the Role
We are looking for a leader that can create a modern data platform (ie ELT rather than ETL) for Cockroach Labs that can help us answer the questions we need to drive our SaaS product development. In addition to supporting the Product team, this director will create the interfaces, processes, and enablement so that other departments can plug in data and answer their own line of business questions. Location is flexible but you must be located in the US.You Will
- Manage the Cockroach Labs Product data platform, while making the core elements available (ex Segment, Snowflake, and Looker) to other departments to support their own analytical needs.
- Augment our systems to create a modern data architecture using best practices for data democracy and self-service analysis. An army of analysts should not be required to run our business.
- Initially operate as a player-coach, personally making incremental changes to our pipelines or BI stack while also building a high-performance, distributed team to support, enhance, and govern this data platform.
- Enable other departments to uplevel their own leverage of this data platform through training.
In your first month, you will go through the Cockroach Labs onboarding process and start to build relationships with stakeholders across the company. You will understand our current data architecture and the internal and external resources we use to maintain it. You will start to prioritize the current backlog of data requests.
After 30 days, you will have a grasp on the major questions the product management team needs to answer, as well as the executive-level questions that require coordination between disparate data sets. You will update the roadmap priority and put in place key processes for building out this function. You will develop a point of view on the direction we need to take our data platform to support our product operations.
After 90 days, you will be fully integrated into the team. You will put in place the major processes for supporting Product and the broader organization, and make incremental improvements to our data platform that demonstrably improve our ability to make decisions. You will socialize a strategy for data in the Product team and how this will support the needs of other departments in the future.You Have
- 7+ years of professional data engineering & analytics experience, ideally at a SaaS company.
- 3+ years of managing a team of data engineers.
- Demonstrated ability in designing and implementing modern data platforms (snowflake/looker/segment/etc) that support self-service analysis.
- Fluent in SQL; Python or R is nice to have.
- Ability to act as a player-coach, doing the necessary work to make incremental progress while building a team for the long-term.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Reporting to Nate Stewart, Chief Product Officer
Nate is responsible for the overall product strategy and the activities we take to guide Cockroach Labs to product-market-fit. As a former engineer, Nate has seen how the challenges of working with data in unreliable, distributed environments often distract developers from building great things. Nate joined Cockroach Labs to help companies avoid that pain once and for all. When he’s not at work, Nate can be found spending time with his family, reading a book from his Goodreads queue, or trying to remove the rust from his tennis game.Our Benefits
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]