Who are we?
Since our founding in 2015, we’ve grown into an organization of over 100 employees based primarily in New York City. Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts from real estate, urban planning, government, finance, technology, and engineering, among other backgrounds.
We’ve launched innovative companies addressing urban mobility, next-generation infrastructure, and community-based healthcare, and invested in startups working on everything from robotic furniture to digital electricity. We continue to work internally on factory-made mass timber construction that can improve housing affordability and sustainability, a digital master-planning tool designed to help developers and communities achieve shared objectives, and a new approach to all-electric neighborhoods.
With the potential to catalyze and scale new models for sustainable and affordable growth, our work is both exciting and complex. We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
What is the role?
To significantly improve sustainability and reduce costs in buildings, Sidewalk Labs is developing new technology that will revolutionize electrical distribution within buildings by using new hardware and software. You will be working to build and integrate our advanced, next generation electrical systems for commercial and residential buildings. This system is a combination of hardware and software built internally and with third parties.
This work is fundamentally cross-cutting and collaborative. In addition to our Product teams, you will work closely with representatives from our Development team (which has responsibility for partnerships with real places); our Commercialization team (which have the responsibility for co-developing the business model, GTM strategy and negotiating strategic investments); and external technology and consulting partners, as required. You will bring the work of world-class visionaries to life, using technology and other forms of innovation to unlock the true potential of the place.
While you have years of experience, this role is mainly an individual contributor position on a team consisting of engineers, designers, and business developers.
Day-to-day, you will work closely with these teams to:
- Deeply understand the everyday needs of real estate developers, property managers, construction firms, device and appliance manufacturers and use this knowledge to identify the best opportunities to leverage technology, software, hardware, and services to improve the urban experience.
- Develop, detail, and prioritize a roadmap that balances shippable, near-term milestones with long-term vision.
- Incorporate Privacy by Design, a principles-based approach to responsible data use that considers privacy at all stages of technological development
- Execute pilots in real-world settings in partnership with developers, tenants, manufacturers, local municipal leaders, and partners across Sidewalk Labs.
- Launch and iterate exceptional products and services that have measurable, positive impact on urban life.
This is a full-time, fixed-term position (salary, benefits, paid vacation, etc.). The contract will run from the start of employment for 6 months. As this is an early-stage product, conversion to full-time regular employment or an extension of full-time fixed-term will be based on a combination of personal performance and long-term investment in the product. We are happy to explain the details to you.
What you have to achieve:
- Within your first month, you will dive into the work done to date on defining the product vision and roadmap, asking critical questions, and developing a strong point-of-view.
- By the end of month three, you will have begun executing on near-term pilots and worked in collaboration with your colleagues to mockup the next version of the product.
- From there, you will be responsible for executing on the long-term product roadmap. As a small team charting a lot of unknown territory, you will need to be flexible in working cross-functionally and integrating the specific product you’re focused upon into a comprehensive platform. You will be asked to partner or procure where possible.
What we expect:
- Product experience
- You have extensive track record shipping world-class products, ideally across both hardware, software. You have at least three years of experience.
- You have strong product intuition and know how to balance the creative with the practical.
- You are obsessed with privacy and constantly ask how we can build privacy into product design.
- You know how to drive product development in operations in the short, medium, and long term.
- You can identify when making an acquisition, developing a partnership, or investing is a better approach to product development than building in-house.
- Subject Matter Expertise
- Strong understanding of electricity and data systems in buildings.
- Obsessed with user needs
- Your product discovery process is deeply rooted in observing user needs and creatively solving problems to improve people’s lives, while also understanding how to address the needs of the buyer and other stakeholders who will influence the purchase decision and experience of the offering overall.
- Your product strategies are driven by data, customer and user research interviews, surveys, and observational methodologies.
- Collaborative leadership
- You have a strong ability to develop focused missions and inspire teams (both internally and externally) to execute.
- You are a great communicator in all formats, from boardroom presentations to user interviews, to Slack, from engineers to urbanists.
- You can work in a multi-disciplinary, matrixed organization with the power to influence without authority.
- Bias towards action
- Once you’ve sketched out an idea, you find the fastest path to a prototype to prove the concept.
- Be creative: you’ll come up with new ideas based on your broad understanding of user needs, technological possibilities and city domain knowledge.
- Passionate about cities
- You have thought about the urban environment and care deeply about improving the lives of urban residents and workers.
- Bonus Qualifications:
- Experience working with any or all of the following: real estate developers, property managers, construction firms, device and appliance manufacturers
- Experience in promoting sustainability and affordability within buildings
- Experience working with technology alliances and standards bodies
We are very excited to hear from you.
The community of the future is a place for everyone, and Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. All employment is based on merit and business need.