Sr. Product Manager at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
New York, NY, US, 10012
Date: Jul 14, 2021
Req ID: 3473
Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
Discovery's Digital group is a well-funded start-up within Discovery, Inc. We are fast, nimble, and have fun developing new, innovative, and immersive digital products and content for iconic brands. We are working at the crossroads of technology, entertainment, and everyday utility. As content creators across the digital ecosystem, we continuously leverage our technology to create immersive viewing and interactive experiences.
We tell engaging stories to millions of viewers across the Internet every day and bring new interactive experiences to life to not only entertain but improve the lives of our customers. Most recently, our group is behind the launch of discovery+, Discovery’s global streaming service, serving as the definitive destination for real life entertainment with the largest ever content offering at launch, which debuted in the U.S. on January 4, 2021.
About the Role
Discovery is looking for a customer-obsessed Senior Product Manager to lead feature development for discovery+, its global video streaming service. The Core Customer Experience (CX) product team is responsible for ensuring that subscribers have an intuitive, easy-to-use, and delightful content discovery and viewing experience. Product Managers on this team are focused on developing and optimizing features and are continually advocating for subscribers around the world.
Who are we looking for? You thrive when making impactful decisions and prioritizing what to build based on user data and research. You are passionate about discovering, developing and shipping products and features that deliver both meaningful benefits to our subscribers and positive business outcomes for the company. You’ve worked as product manager for at least five years and have experience in fast-paced, scrappy environments.
Day-to-day, you succeed by determining what is simultaneously usable, valuable, and feasible, by utilizing product discovery tactics and design thinking. You connect regularly with customers to become an expert on our audience, industry, and your platform domain. You lead and motivate a dedicated, cross-functional Agile team by communicating vision, authoring user stories, prioritizing the backlog, and coordinating regularly and clearly with partners and stakeholders.
As the ideal candidate, you’re a driven, passionate advocate for customers and the business, bringing a sense of urgency and empathy. You have a strong point of view, but you’re open-minded and can admit when you’re wrong. Your team loves working with you because you lead through inspiration and motivation rather than rules and hierarchies. You use storytelling and data in equal parts and enjoy digging into difficult problems.
If this sounds like you, and you’re excited to work with great people and the global leader in real life entertainment, we’re excited to connect!
- Own a set of features and/or a segment of the customer journey and/or metrics in order to continually look for opportunities to improve the CX.
- Develop a deep understanding of the customer, data, business, and industry.
- Set, articulate, and advocate product vision and strategy with development, user experience, design and stakeholder teams.
- Communicate vision, strategy, objectives, and KPIs for new features with ability to influence cross-functional teams. Define and build consensus on meaningful metrics for success.
- Manage and mentor product managers and associate product managers, helping them enhance their skills and grow their careers.
- Prioritize and triage bugs with associate product managers and business analysts and work closely with QA and developers on their resolution.
- Discover new opportunities worth pursuing through rapid experimentation, customer research, A/B testing, and design thinking. Inform decisions with qualitative and quantitative data.
- Ensure good communication and transparency by partnering with internal teams including engineering, editorial, customer support, marketing, advertising, analytics, business development, etc.
- Create global requirements in partnership with specialized product teams, including video player, customer experience, accounts and billing, localization and more.
- Author and contribute feedback to business documents consisting of product briefs, epics, user stories, and functional requirements.
- Own the roadmap for collaboration with device and platform product managers. Make decisions driven by shared goals that have an outcome and impact focus.
- Collaborate with operational excellence, release management, tech leads and project managers to improve and develop new tools and processes.
- 5+ years product management experience.
- Strong experience using analytics and user research to drive decisions.
- AVOD/SVOD/TVE/DTC domain experience are a plus.
- Experience and background in SEO analysis and implementation practices is a plus.
- Experience with accessibility best practices is a plus.
- Exceptional written and spoken communication skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects at once, prioritize and execute a large number of tasks, and resolve issues quickly.
- Strong user experience sensibilities.
- Strong experience with Agile methodologies and product development tools.
- Experience with frameworks, including Prioritization, Product Discovery, Design Thinking, Lean Product a plus.
- Experience as a designer, developer, data analyst, or user researcher is a plus.
- Strong communicator, skilled at aligning business stakeholders and managing shifting priorities.
- Experience of working within both global and territory specific environments is a plus.
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.