Sr. Technical Product Manager, Origination at Better
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Help us reinvent a thirteen trillion dollar industry by building a product that will allow more than the status quo to own a home and build wealth rather than rent for life.
A home is the single biggest financial investment in a person’s life, and as a Sr. Technical Product Manager on the Origination Team at Better you will be at the forefront of re-thinking and disrupting this home ownership journey for our customers. The Origination Team is focused on building an industry disrupting Loan Origination System (LOS) that merges the borrower experience with the operational execution process to get consumers to the closing table on time with the correct information. We’re currently focused on continuing to build process efficiencies for both our borrower and operations teams, thereby creating a more consistent and high quality closing process for our customers.
In this role, you will straddle the line between strategy and execution to enable development teams to accelerate capabilities for both our consumer and our sales and operations teams. Your role will be focusing on validating critical origination system dependencies for other teams, and identify best in class platform solutions to scalably support these internal customers. This will be a high visibility, highly leverage aspect of our business that is critical to building out a leading class mortgage origination suite.
Responsibilities will include:
- Partner with and lead cross functional teams to develop platforms, set product vision and strategy
- Define and socialize the roadmap of your product area through deep research and understanding of business goals
- Bring your solutions to market through ownership of the full product lifecycle: problem identification, solution design, spec, implementation and validation
- Build products that empower our sales, operations, capital markets teams to make better decisions and add delight to our user experience
- Make magic out of a complex and antiquated industry through intense focus on simplification
- Go deep into both technical huddles with engineers and strategic discussions with executives
- Manage competing priorities with consistency and transparency
- You’ve worked for 6-8 years in a product management capacity at a technology-driven organization on deeply technical, platform products
- You have deeply technical experience with a degree in Computer Science or real world experience as a Software Engineer
- You’re an analytical, metrics-driven thinker who is deeply empathetic and leads with a user-centered approach
- You are an evangelist of how platforms can unlock business value and customer experiences through self serve APIs
- You’re committed to collaboration and are able to work well with other business units to build iterative solutions that continuously deliver value
- You have a proven track record of entering a new space and building expertise rapidly
- Your spidey sense enables you to read between the lines and extrapolate ideas which turn into solutions
- You are not afraid of getting your hands dirty and are equally comfortable balancing tactical and strategic investments
- You have a change-management mindset
- You challenge archaic processes to make them better for consumers by removing friction (aka you live to make complex things simple)
- You’re a systems thinker with an understanding that spans all levels of abstraction
- You are comfortable in an ever-changing environment and have a passion for successfully navigating ambiguous problem areas
- You have exceptional written and verbal communication skills, and have a proven track record of building strong relationships with stakeholders
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.