Product Compliance Specialist at Casper
Casper is currently seeking a Compliance Specialist to join our Product & Manufacturing Engineering team in New York. In this role, you will work collaboratively with the design, engineering, manufacturing and commercial teams throughout the product lifecycle by specifying regulatory requirements, completing pre-testing of products and supporting the team through product execution, ultimately driving the team to obtain the required regulatory compliance and safety certifications. The Compliance Specialist will also work to ensure that the products remain in compliance throughout their life cycle.
Casper (casper.com) was created to re-imagine sleep from the ground up, beginning with its obsessively engineered, outrageously comfortable mattress. All of Casper’s sleep products — including its pillow, bedding, and furniture — are developed in-house by the company’s award-winning R&D team in San Francisco. Casper was named one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in the World and its eponymous mattress was crowned one of TIME Magazine's Best Inventions.
We are deeply committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce so that we represent all those who dream big equally.When you’re not catching zzz’s, this is what you’ll do...
- Creates processes that ensure requirements related to regulatory compliance as they relate to all Casper product categories and packaging are communicated, planned for and executed accordingly.
- Works directly with product development, manufacturing and supplier teams throughout the development process and reports on progress and scheduled commitments.
- Proactive partnership on compliance activities with wholesale and merchandising teams on new and existing products in pipeline.
- Works with the Legal team to ensure that records are properly kept, traceable and meet appropriate testing and submission processes.
- Builds framework for a compliance program SOP and Global Compliance Manual/Policy for internal reference and to ensure consistency of practice.
- Interacts and engages with US, Asian and European supply chain and commercial partners to understand specific compliance and regulatory requirements, ensuring Casper and supplier adherence to requirements and schedules.
- Develops or verifies test plans and SOPs for each test phase during the product development.
- Establishes test schedules with the 3rd party compliance labs as needed.
- Engages rapidly in resolution of test issues, works with design, manufacturing and supply base partners to develop solutions and corrective actions as needed.
- Guides design practices to ensure compliance mitigations are properly implemented in the design and manufacturing.
- Drives root cause determination and corrective actions for any failures observed during product life cycle.
- Manages and communicates with various authorities, supporting submission or inquires towards final approval from the governmental or regulatory bodies.
- Responsible for / drives regulatory label artwork configuration and release to ensure compliance to various certification bodies.
- Handles PLM documentation requests.
- Remains up to date on any changes to global compliance requirements and testing protocols.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field. Appropriate level of experience can be considered in lieu of a technical degree.
- 3-5 years of full exposure to US and Global compliance requirements with relevant multiple generations product development and release experiences in testing, compliance and labeling of Mattresses, Furniture, Textiles, Home Goods, and/or Consumer Electronics.
- Desired: Extensive and hands-on testing experience with Federal Standard 16 CFR 1632, 16 CFR 1633, TB 117, ASTM E1590, EN 597 and all other related and relevant local, federal and global standards as well as labeling requirements.
- Desired: Hands-on experience with EMC/EMI, UL / CSA, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth compliance testing during product design and qualification phases (pre-scan/compliance testing).
- Desired: Experience with multiple electronics / connected product submissions for official/global certification through FCC, CE, CSA, UL, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, others through relevant bodies.
- Desired: Experience with worldwide environmental compliance protocols and certifications such as ROHS, REACH and WEEE, Proposition 65 and others.
- Experience working with US, Asian and European manufacturing partners.
- Excellent project management skill set.
- Proven track record in working in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Ability to move quickly and work in a rapid pace environment.
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally as required.
- Must love sleep!
- Participation in our HQ bonus program for some splurging and equity so that you’re part of the Casper family.
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance to help you with those coughs or cavities (too many waffles...)..
- Wellness programs like cash incentives for tracking sleep and fitness, credits for your favorite studios and in-office activities
- Unlimited vacation policy. If you need time off just take it; we trust you!
- Catered lunches twice a week to give you time to catch up with your teammate
- A full gifted bed set when you join and product discounts for friends and family!
If you dream about this stuff this job is probably right for you. We look forward to learning more about you!