Scrum Master at Paperless Post
Paperless Post is seeking an energetic Scrum Master to continue scaling up our Agile framework, further allowing our cross-functional teams to grow their sustainability, predictability and ability to collaborate. The Scrum Master will join the Engineering team and work at the intersection of Engineering, Product and Design.
A Little About The Team
The PP Engineering team, a highly collaborative group of developers and technologists, is charged with building and refining a consumer-facing product that millions of people interact with each month. Our individual teams focus on a unique piece of the user experience and are made up of engineers, product managers, QA, product designers, and Scrum Masters. We prioritize creativity and continuing education, and our ongoing commitment to quality code shows in our pragmatic but brave approach to technology.
What you will do here
- Act as Scrum Master for one or more Scrum teams.
- Facilitate all Scrum ceremonies such as sprint planning, backlog grooming, stand-ups and retrospectives.
- Recommend and implement process improvements to optimize velocity of assigned teams.
- Ensure blockers are identified and resolved.
- Ensure all work is represented in JIRA, sized appropriately and described with consistent standards.
- Ensure backlog is properly managed and does not become stale.
- Minimize gaps between planned work represented in JIRA and actual work done.
- Provide accurate, understandable, and useful metrics reporting on sprint performance. Leverage those metrics to drive improvements and demonstrate performance.
- Partner with Product Managers to prepare the right work at the right time and actively ensure the team remains focused on what’s important and timely.
- Work with Technical Program Manager on cross-team efforts.
- Agile environment work experience. You are passionate about Agile frameworks. You have worked 5+ years in an Agile software development environment. This can include experience as an Engineer and/or Product Manager, but must include at least 2 years as a Scrum Master.
- Agile framework chops. You understand thoroughly and can apply the Scrum framework, perhaps also the Kanban framework. You can explain clearly the differences between Waterfall and Agile, as well as SDLC practices that are often used in conjunction with Scrum.
- Agile tools. You are a power-user of Confluence and JIRA. Experience with other similar tools and enthusiasm for learning new ones can substitute for this.
- Excellent communication skills. You bring people together and promote collaboration, self-organization and transparency. You know when to use verbal vs. written communications. You write effectively and can present your views clearly.
- Strong interpersonal skills. You love working with people. You build strong relationships with ease. You interact well with many personality types. You can lead effectively without authority. You are able to assertively express view points aligned with Agile and Scrum methodologies and execute them, working through sometimes conflicting points of view.
- Technical aptitude. You are conversant in web architectures and technologies. You can participate in high-level technical discussions including challenges, risks and tradeoffs of various solutions.
- Bonus points: you have experience scrum mastering web-based projects, you have worked in a small, start-up like environment.
Company-wide we enjoy an amazing ecosystem of an even gender split and healthy balance of engineers and designers. Because Paperless Post isn’t supported by ad revenue, we can focus our efforts on building and improving on the ideal version of our platform, product, content, and partnerships for our users.
We are proud that Paperless Post helped over 80 million people connect in the real world last year. Our product is global, and we are committed to being a company where everyone belongs. We encourage people of all backgrounds, races, genders, and abilities to apply!