Senior Manager of Strategic Initiatives, Office of Chief Risk Officer at OnDeck
Innovation, collaboration, and success: at OnDeck, We Make It Happen. We’ve changed the way small businesses access financing. With the spirit of a fintech start-up and the stability of a larger organization, OnDeck helps customers achieve their ambitions while leading in the small business lending space. We operate with a one team mindset, supporting each other and celebrating our wins together. If you’re looking for a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, inclusive environment where you can make an impact on our customers and business, OnDeck could be the place for you.
As Senior Manager of Strategic Initiatives, you will partner very closely with the Chief Risk Officer (CRO) and the Risk leadership team on core business and capability initiatives. We are looking for a highly analytic, collaborative and results driven problem solver to join our team.
Reporting to and supporting the Chief Risk Officer, the Senior Manager of Strategic Initiatives for Risk is a new and highly visible role at OnDeck combining strategic planning, project and program management, and process improvement across a fast-moving FinTech business. This person will be responsible for leading critical initiatives for the CRO and other Risk leaders, with a focus on programs that require a high degree of coordination and change management across the organization. Interacting across multiple functional areas, this individual will support the Risk team’s efforts, work on interdepartmental projects, and facilitate strategic communication across OnDeck.
The Senior Manager of Strategic Initiatives should have excellent project management skills to support cross-functional initiatives and to drive initiatives forward. He/she will often operate independently and with minimal supervision, and thus must possess strong personal drive, self-direction, and judgment. This role also requires an extremely high level of integrity, professionalism and discretion given the level of access to proprietary credit, risk, and business information as well as exposure to strategic planning ranging from financial forecasting to competitive positioning within OnDeck’s space.
What is in it for you? This role will offer you exposure across all departments and levels with unfiltered insight into how we make business decisions and move the business forward. You will have an all access passport to learn about every aspect of the company and be involved in informing many different facets of the business. You will have the unique opportunity to work alongside a supportive, accessible and personable Risk leadership team. You will report to a strategic, experienced, and coaching-oriented CRO who will require you to reach for 110% every day, while guiding and supporting you in achieving it.
As a Senior Manager of Risk Initiatives at OnDeck, you will:
- Risk Leadership Support (40%)
- Manage the agendas for various Risk meetings, including but not limited to weekly Risk Leadership Team (LT) meeting, Extended Risk LT meetings, monthly “All-Hands” risk meetings, between the Risk & Tech divisions, Risk & Revenue divisions, etc . Ensure that proper coordination and communication between teams is as efficient as possible. Capture key actions and create project structures for those in need of such. Follow up with leaders to ensure they are driving relevant initiatives forward.
- Help the CRO and other key decision-makers develop short-term and long-term strategy goals and support execution; track progress to measure effectiveness of strategy.
- Risk Communications Lead (20%)
- Design the communication approach and presentation materials for Risk internal and external audiences spanning a variety of different topics ranging from status updates, brand and awareness building and change management.
- Develop OnDeck’s companywide monthly Town Hall meetings by working with People Operations’ Culture team, Tech Operations, and various other internal teams to ensure effective and engaging meetings across all offices.
- Risk Initiatives (40%)
- Contribute to critical projects (i.e. new credit strategies, uplift of system capabilities, product pricing tests, collections strategies, etc.) via analytics, research, and consumer insights, cross-company collaboration, etc. This requires a deep aptitude for risk/reward optimization, technology acumen, and understanding of how to use project management discipline and collaborative influencing to get results in days rather than months. Identify roadblocks to successful execution and eliminate them by whatever means necessary.
- Support or lead the detailed technical requirements to bring strategies to market in significantly less time while still managing execution and operational risk.
Necessary qualifications for success:
- 5-7 years of work experience. Prior experience in risk strategy execution, management consulting, project management, or investment banking. Bachelors degree required. MBA preferred.
- Resourceful. Ability to be self-directed in finding answers, can develop a trusted “coalition of advisors” to help provide support, will seek out direction and insight when needed.
- Passion for process improvement. Never settling for the status-quo, able to identify improvements in the way things are done.
- Smart as a whip. A keen intellect, combining analytical reasoning, curiosity, creativity, conceptual ability and judgment. Quick study, able to handle complex matters, with multiple initiatives going on simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Personable and can quickly engender people’s confidences. Able to lead effectively without authority. Capable of building relationships, a good listener with outstanding interpersonal influencing qualities and a natural consultative style. Builds positive relationships with others to gain buy-in and achieve business results. Demonstrates active listening and practices open, honest and direct communication.
- Quantitatively inclined. Strong business acumen, financial skills, and analytical abilities. Familiarity with typical credit data, systems & technologies and credit modeling is highly valuable.
- Outstanding communicator. Possesses good written/oral communications skills, as well as the ability to present his/her views in a clear and compelling manner. Can effectively tailor communication to specific audiences. Adapts approach to fit the situation and audience. Has keen attention to detail, flawlessly executing role responsibilities. Stays open minded and proactively keeps communication going to move initiatives forward.
- Project management. Capable of executing on both short- and medium-term projects and objectives. Willing to do what it takes to hit deadlines that may be externally imposed. Organized and able to anticipate issues or conflicts as they come up.
- Positive can-do attitude. Strong passion for helping Small Business customers succeed and doing what it takes to help drive company initiatives forward. Understands how to navigate the organization effectively to accomplish business and department goals.
- Trusted partner, working under confidentiality. Able to handle confidential information, is trustworthy, and can act with discretion and professionalism.
- Professional Courage. Willing to take risks, aiming high to drive OnDeck forward. Has the courage to talk straight and ask tough questions. Is open to and accepts of change, adapting to our evolving business. Proactively raises challenges and identifies solutions.
- Operates at multiple levels. Able to deal effectively with strategic issues, as well as the tactical, operational details.
- Understands a sense of urgency and is accessible outside of office hours.
- Expert in PowerPoint and Excel.
OnDeck is the largest online small business lender in the U.S. Since 2007, we’ve issued over $12 billion in loans for many business needs including inventory purchase, equipment acquisition, hiring, and general corporate purposes. Serving more than 700 industries throughout the country, OnDeck has been trusted by over 100,000 small businesses by providing them with a term loan or line of credit to help them build a growing and thriving enterprise.
Click here for a glimpse inside our offices
At OnDeck, it’s We Before Me. We support each other and we love seeing people succeed. That’s why we offer a competitive and comprehensive benefit program with a variety of options and opportunities. We offer:
- Flexible Paid Time Off; Paid Sick Days; Paid Holidays; Paid Birthday
- Comprehensive Healthcare (Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance)
- Wellness Subsidy and Mental Health Coaches
- Voluntary Auto/Home/Pet Insurance
- Educational Reimbursement; Flexible Working Arrangements
- 401k Matching, Loan Consolidation, Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Paid Parental Leave and Sabbaticals
- Affinity Groups and Volunteer Events
We are going to ask you to talk about your accomplishments. Here are some of ours:
- Built in Colorado, Top 100 Digital Companies in Colorado, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Built in NYC’s 100 Best Places to Work, 2019
- Colorado SHRM Best Companies to Work For in Colorado, 2015
- Crain’s New York Best Places to Work, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Crain’s New York Business Fast 50, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
- Denver Business Journal Largest Technology Employers in Denver, 2019
- Denver Business Journal Best Places to Work, 2019
- FinTech Breakthrough Award – Best Overall LendTech Company, 2018
- Fortune 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity, 2016
- Fortune 50 Best Small and Medium Companies to Work For, 2016
- Fortune 30 Best Workplaces in Finance and Insurance, 2016
- Fortune.com and Great Place to Work 100 Best Workplaces for Millennials, 2015
- Fortune/Great Place To Work Great Rated! People’s Picks: 20 Great Workplaces in Financial Services, 2015
- Forbes’ America’s Most Promising Companies, 2013, 2014
- Great Place to Work Certification, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Inc. 500|5000, 2013, 2014
- Inc. Hire Power, 2013
- Lending Tree’s Top Rated Customer Satisfaction, Q1 2018
- Selling Power Magazine Best Company to Sell For, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- US News & World Report, “Best Unsecured Business Loans of 2018” – Best for Term Loans
- Washington Post Top Places to Work, 2019
- WorldatWork, 2017 Seal of Distinction
- TalentDesk’s Best Large Companies for Computer Science Jobs in Arlington, Virginia: #1, 2019
- TalentDesk’s Best Companies for Customer Service Jobs in Denver, Colorado: #1, 2019
- TalentDesk’s Best Companies for Quality Assurance Jobs in Denver, Colorado: #1, 2019
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, OnDeck provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OnDeck complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
OnDeck expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OnDeck’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**