Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
The Product, Design and Engineering teams at Better are responsible for the end to end experience of getting a loan at Better.com, as well as all of the things behind the scenes that automate and structure the mortgage process. It’s a team that moves very quickly – we ship improvements to Better.com about 50 times daily, and we use tons of data to improve the experience and drive decisions.
This Technical Program Manager will join the Engineering Excellence team, and will be responsible for scoping and delivering large projects end-to-end, from requirements definition to release, and for providing technical and thought leadership during all phases. Our team is key participants in influencing Engineering’s operational strategy and process improvements, while aligning it with business objectives.
Responsibilities will include:
- Plan, manage, and deliver technical software engineering programs. Achieve cross-functional alignment on program scope, structure, release planning, as well as aligning one or more teams on vision, business goals and critical metrics.
- Provide program status visibility (issues, risks, dependencies, metrics, etc) on an ongoing basis through reviews, metrics and reports (to all stakeholders, team members, and interested parties).
- Translate projects into concrete deliverables, and shepherd these deliverables from definition to release.
- Partner with Engineering Managers, Product Managers, Product Operations, Engineers, and other multi-functional partners across the business to plan and execute technical programs and achieve shared goals.
- Drive high-level system thinking and make sure that new systems and services work in harmony with existing systems.
- Create transparency and drive decision making with data and metrics through well-written executive-level and team-level narratives.
- Develop positive relationships with key functional stakeholders to drive focus on business goals. Be a trusted partner for executive management to ensure program success.
- You have a software engineering background.
- You have 5+ years of Program Management experience in a technology organization running and optimally delivering on a variety of technical software engineering programs.
- You are experienced at defining programs, writing detailed functional specifications, and delivering projects that meet rapidly evolving business needs.
- You are experienced at managing and successfully delivering large scale software development projects.
- You are comfortable working on technical programs within an agile environment, knowing when to participate in sprint ceremonies and when to implement agile scaling techniques.
- You communicate effectively (both written and verbally) and establish credibility with technical and non-technical partners including executive staff.
- You have a technical background, can read/navigate through code, and are adept at understanding engineering needs.
- You are able to contribute to deeply technical discussions.
- Solid understanding of how Product, Engineering and Design teams work together to build effective products.
- A strong interest in, and desire to, learn about technology, and a proven track record of taking the steps to do so
- Strong verbal and written communication — excellent ability to influence stakeholders and leadership through data-driven reporting.
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.