Hello, we're Trail of Bits
Trail of Bits helps secure the world’s most targeted organizations and products. We combine high-end security research with a real-world attacker mentality to reduce risk and fortify code. We take on difficult security challenges by designing and building new technology, researching new techniques, and reviewing the security of new tech products.
Why Work with Us?
Our employees are our most valuable asset and we treat them as such. We believe in flexible scheduling, generous benefits, and ample opportunities for growth and experimentation within the field.
An Insider's view of Trail of Bits
What’s the vibe like in the office?
Our offices are very easy going. Since half our employees are remote, we’re a remote-first company that just happens to have 20 people working in NYC. This gives us the benefit of a flexible remote culture but also have a place to get away from home and socialize with coworkers without rigid hours.
Principal Security Engineer
How do you collaborate with other teams in the company?
Half of Trail of Bits is remote, so online collaboration and communication keeps us running. We make heavy use of Slack, Google Docs, Github, Trello, and video calls. Each project has its own Github repository and Slack channel, where most project communication occurs. A weekly video call provides high-level updates to the whole company.
Principal Security Engineer
What makes someone successful on your team?
Successful people at Trail of Bits are self-motivated and committed to doing their best work. They are team players that are willing to participate and be involved with projects across the company. They are curious, embody a growth mindset, and actively watch out for new opportunities to help the company grow and thrive.
Senior Security Engineer
How would you describe the company’s work-life balance?
Trail of Bits makes it really easy for each of us to create the work-life balance that works for us as individuals. There is a lot of flexibility around when and where we work, and our tools and workflows make collaboration easy in a variety of settings.
Where we are
We're located in the heart of the Financial District, with ample commuting options including MTA, Path, and ferries.
Perks + Benefits
Documented equal pay policy
Unconscious bias training
Health Insurance & Wellness
Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
Child Care & Parental Leave
Generous Parental Leave
Flexible Work Schedule
Remote Work Program
Family Medical Leave
Vacation & Time Off
- Trail of Bits has given me a position surrounded by incredibly intelligent people and supplied the resources to improve my skills and those of my team. The work we do is technically challenging, the culture of expertise sharing is second to none.Paul KehrerPrincipal Security Engineer
- Trail of Bits has consistently empowered me to do the kind of software development that I love: program analysis, with a strong emphasis on open sourcing and publicizing our research and tools for use by the wider community.William WoodruffSecurity Engineer
- Trail of Bits is the best company I've worked for in my career. Meeting new coworkers, I am constantly surprised at how cool and brilliant they are. The organization's founders and management are phenomenal and have built an amazing company.Weston HopkinsSenior Security Engineer
- One of the best parts of working at Trail of Bits is the trust they place in their employees' technical decision making. Everyone here has the autonomy to pursue work they personally feel passionate about.JP SmithSenior Security Engineer
- This is my second summer interning for Trail of Bits, and it’s been a great place to work. The projects I’ve worked on have been both interesting and challenging, and everyone at the company is wonderful to work with.Aditi GuptaIntern
Technology we use